1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 chevy 2500 dual battery

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PLOWMAN45, Feb 16, 2007.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have a second battery tray im gonna use where can i get the hold down and the cables and what not for it any sites other then dealer sites they are marked up 150%

2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Just get generic stuff at Autozone, Pep Boys or whatever you have there. They have universal hold downs and battery cables. I think I've even seen them at Walmart. Match up your batteries, one older one will hurt the new one. May want to just get two new identical ones to be on the safe side.

3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Autozone has a lot of pre-made cables (i.e. terminated to length) at decent prices, like Dan mentioned.

Much better connections if you go with pre-made. Just take some spare cable (or rope / string) you have lying around and route it in the truck and this will give you the length you need to buy (add some slack of course).

Personally I would shy away from cables from Walmart (Chinese made for sure), not worth the aggravation or the few pennies saved if you get a bad cable and have to pull it out. Pretty sure the stuff from Autozone is Penn East and still made in the US.

4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

If you put one new battery with an old battery, you have two old batteries. Batteries naturally get poorer with age and the new one will conform to the characteristics of the old one. If you have one new one, I would get anohter new one to match it or you will have shortened battery life and will be dissapointed.

5. PLOWMAN45

there both new

6. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ok, good, then you will be a happy man :nod:

7. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

Junk yard

Check your local junk yard. Small parts like that my guy doesn't even charge me when I go pull the parts and they are factory.

8. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

i also vote junkyard the parts are cheap and they are factory so you know they will work

9. PLOWMAN45

anyone have a online chevy place where i can find what i need ?

10. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

Search "gm parts" 356668 and 11509853 are the hold down and bolt the cables search plowsite they are listed somewhere here I just used cables from advanced auto parts off the shelf cost me like $12 for cables dealer was like $75

11. Strictly Snow

Strictly Snow Senior Member
    from Oxford

12. PLOWMAN45

13. PLOWMAN45

here are some finshed shots i just need the cables

battery tray 005.jpg

battery tray 003.jpg

battery tray 006.jpg

14. PLOWMAN45

Finished

Finished battery on 04/19/2007

FINISH 2ND BATTERY 006.jpg

FINISH 2ND BATTERY 003.jpg

FINISH 2ND BATTERY 004.jpg

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Looks good, but watch that neg ground cable by your manifold. It might get a little hot and melt the insulation on that cable. Thats just my 2 cents.

16. PLOWMAN45

i will watch it its a 2gauge wire

17. W.L.S.27

W.L.S.27 Member

I've got a 97' K3500... Could you send me the links to the parts that you used?

18. PLOWMAN45

19. BrewCityTommy

BrewCityTommy Member

Excuse me, could you help me out? I have an 03-and it looks just like this..where do i hook the positive cable to?? sorry, i really have no knowledge of automotive electrical systems!!!???i see you just grounded the neg to the frame..do i run the positive to the postive on the other battery and to the car wiring??? please help!! also im going to be running a western mvp 8'6" and a buyers tg505b spreader...do i need the extra battery-ive been seeing people say its a good idea....i do have the higher output alternator thatcomes on plow package hd's.thanks

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, connect the 2 batteries together. Then one battery will connect to the truck like it did before.