1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 Chevy 1500

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by DURAMAX42088, Apr 23, 2006.

1. DURAMAX42088

DURAMAX42088 Junior Member

Hey im new to the boards but i recently purchased a 2000 Chevy 1500 4x4 with a 4.8 liter V8 and i was wondering if i would be able to put a plow on it or if i should just leave it alone. thanks

Last edited: Apr 23, 2006
  2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I am sure that there are plows that you can put on it. I am sure that you could go with any brand with home owner type plows to put on it. It all depends on what you are looking to use it for. I would do one or two drives max with it. It is a pretty light duty truck. You might just want to leave it alone, especially if you have another truck that you use for plowing.
  3. DURAMAX42088

thanks for your opinion so i should just stay away from full size plows and go for like a fisher home steader if i wanted to?
  4. jeff45

jeff45 Junior Member

i have a 7 1/2 foot fisher on my truck that is the same exact truck. i use it for commercial plowing and it does fine, i like using it more than my 1 ton trucks xysport
  5. DURAMAX42088

hey thanks for the replies i got some time to think about weater i want to put a plow on or not prsport
  6. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I think HP wise you will be OK. I mean, mine is a 5.0 and it is a tank. A 4.8 should not be that much different. Iwould just be worried about the front end. You would proabably have to beef it up a bit. A Home Steader might nbe on the light side, and a 7.5' might be on the heavy side.
  7. ght1098

ght1098 Member

I have a 2002 1/2 ton short box, plow commercially with it, no problems. Buddy has a 1996 1/2 ton short box, plows commercially, no problems. Mine has a 7 1/2' Western Poly Pro, his is a 7 1/2' Fisher RD. Both trucks have 7' back blades (mounted to the rear of the truck). What ever you do, take your time and don't plow like a jack*** and you will be fine.
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

you can get a meyers st series 7.5 or a light duty curtis plow
  9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher reccomends the 7'6" ld series which I would go with.
  10. southofheaven73

southofheaven73 Junior Member

If you have the heavier front end, you can get the 7'6'' RD. Which would be decent for you. Oh by the way nice truck..and hopefully the front bumper will stay on when we go off roading!wesport
  11. DURAMAX42088

shut up haha pumpkin:
  12. beungood

beungood Member

Try Snow Way

I would check out a Snoway plow in lieu of a homeowner plow. With the down pressure option you would do alright for yourself.
  13. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I have a 2004 chevy 1500 4x4 with a 26 series sno way.I haven't plowed with it yet but it carries it fine. Only thing about those 1500 is you need to turn up the torsion bars or put some stops in because with a sno way 26 series it will still lower that snow plow mount almost to the ground I put a 3inch body lift on my truck it sags to about factory level with it on there but I have plowed with a 1500 chevy and a f150 they do fine. Just don't go taking on any targets or anything crazy like that.

14. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I wouldn't buy no homeowner type plow it is a waste.
  15. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

A Sno-Way MT or 26 series plow in a 7'6" model would make a great application for your 1/2 ton Chevy. They both would be less weight for the truck to carry than comparable plows of other manufacturers. :nod:

Visit our factory website http://www.snoway.com for further information.

Tom O'Brien
    District Sales Manager
    Sno-Way International Inc.
  16. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Here's one if your interested

A Three year old Meyer's STP 90 7.5' Poly Plow complete with harnesses, Saber Lights, modules, Touch Pad control,

You'll need to get the truck side frame mounts

Located in Central Massachusetts

508 753 6617