1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 7.3 powerstroke

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by blaze13, Jan 21, 2009.

1. blaze13

blaze13 Junior Member
    from Ohio

I have a 2000 F 350 powerstroke 7.3, I'm trying to decide what to do to it first. I am looking to get better fuel mileage. My truck is basically stock. Have been looking at the Juice w/ attitude chip, MBRP 4in exhaust and K&N air intake system. Whice do u guys think I should start with first. Considering Fuel mileage is my main concern. Thanks
  2. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I would do the exhaust first.

If you want the Edge contact Power Hungry Performance as Bill can custom tune one for you. Bill has been tuning Fords longer than most.

Do not do a K&N as they don't filter really well. Personally I'd go with a AFE, S&B or Air Raid setup. I run a AFE Stage 2 on my 01.
  3. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Chip and exhaust, hand down. I used to push 21 MPG with mine, but don't over look tranny mods. You will smoke a stock tranny in no time. Get a better converter and a shift kit and you will be set. but what do I know, I just smoked two trannies before I built one up with no problems LOL
  4. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

Yep, I killed my stock trans in my 01. Running a BTS now.

Stick with the lower hp settings for the sake of the stock trans :D
  5. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

put on a 4 inch exhaust, low backpressure high flow muffler, forget the chip, and a 6637 air filter.
    the truck will run like a raped ape, get good mileage, and run forever.
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Looking at this solely from the point of getting the best MPG. All of the mods mentioned will only yeild a slight MPG increase for each mod. None of them will get you 5+ MPG increase, just 1-2 if that much, but they do add up.
    A manual trans will get slightly better MPG than an automatic. Two wheel drive will be better than 4wd. The lower the truck the lower the wind drag will be, thus better mileage. Smaller skinny tires such as a highway tread 235/85 with max air pressure. Power Hungry Perf., Tony Wildman, or DP Tuner can do a very good job custom tuning a chip. Open element air filter such as a Tymar, AFE Stage 2. For mileage the stock SD exhaust is good except change the muffler to a free flowing model. A bed cover, especially one that slopes from the roof line to the tail gate. Small side view mirors, and a belly pan to smooth the chassis aerodynamically.
    The biggest increase in MPG I saw is by driving by the EGT gage. Keep your EGT's below 600*. It requires driving like a old person but it showed the most increase. Years ago there was a guy on thedieselstop who made it his goal to get the best MPG in his SD PSD. To the best of my memory the above mentioned items were what he did to his truck durring the search for the best MPG. He didn't just bolt something on and claim it worked he did many tests both with a mod and without it, that which worked he kept, and all the stuff that didn't he got rid of.
    Obviously some of the mods are not practical for a plow truck, but this thread is about getting the best MPG. IIRC his best MPG was 27 or 28mpg.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  7. snowandgo

snowandgo Senior Member

I read an article about a guy that took an F350 dually, 7.3L 6sp. 4x2 and lowered it, did exh, int, and chip. Made a custom bed cover and was getting up to 31 mpg. He may have done a gear change as well.

DP Tuners are known for good mpg.

For mpg's on a budget, change your muffler, or go to a 4" system, and change your air filter. I've got a do-it-yourself intake that cost $40 (incl. filter) and has 3 times the surface area of stock.