1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 2500 Ext cab 6.0 sluggish

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Arc Burn, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

OK fellas,2000 Chevy 3/4 ton 8600 gvw(not HD) with the 6.0 and auto trans with 60k miles.I'm not impressed at all with this engine especially after getting in my 98' with the 350 vortec for the first time in a few months.the older truck will run circles around the 6.0 and the 350 has 100k on it,what gives?The 98' had a new tranny at 80k and the 6.0 doesn't seem to shift as well,could i be looking at tranny probs here?The 2 trucks are litterally night and day,i can't believe it,anything obvious we should look at first here?
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

I know the 6.0L is no powerhouse.The newer trucks have gotten bigger,heavier,and have more accessory loads.Also gearing and tire size have a big influence on power.The 350 Vortec was a really strong motor.

Have you checked the basics,like plugs,air filter,throttle body,etc.Or maybe a plugged cat ?
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Arc,have you kept up on the fuel filter/air filter maintenance on the 6.0? Id start with a new fuel filter/or a pressure test,the fuel pump could be getting weak,(not likely though).Also the cat convertor could be plugging up,restricting flow.One guy I knew had low power on his,turned out he bent his tailpipe in a snow bank backing up,pinched it almost shut,it would idle and cruise,but had no power,and a cool whistle:D . If all that checks out,it may be time to get the ignition system,and the ecm/pcm checked out.
  4. Arc Burn

Air and fuel filters are new,i never gave much thought to the plugs because everything today is supposedly good for 100k:rolleyes: ,I'll check those this week along with the cat.The fuel pump does change its pitch every now and then from high to low(you guys know that chevy fuel pump whine!)
    The truck has no obvious probs untill you floor it and just doesn't have the get up and go i would like,mind you i'm not lookin to smoke Johnny D here or anything but it's gotta have more than that.
    Now i'm not the mechanic that you 2 boys are but something tells me it's a tranny prob,i just don't know how to check it.

Will check the above first though and keep you posted,thanks
  5. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Arc Burn

Sluggish :confused:

My 2001 - 6.0 (300-hp)2500HD x-cab 4.10 runs like a raped ape :D I can smoke them everytime from a stop if I floor it :waving:

Has it always been sluggish ??????

As for the tranny a buddy of mine had the dealer update the flash for the tranny shift points & it made a big difference in his truck ;)
  6. Arc Burn

How do i find out what gears i have in the rear?
    I bought the truck used at the dealer were i bought the last 3 so for the time i've had it yes,it's always been sluggish.
    The more i think about it,i just don't think the tranny shifts right:confused:
    If i were to take it to a dealer what should i say,"update the flash" or my tranny seems weak?
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

To determine the rear axle ratio,you can usually read it right off the axle tag,on one of the cover bolts.If not,count how many turns of the driveshaft are required to get one full wheel revolution,with the wheels off the ground.
  8. Arc Burn

Just spoke with the local dealer and he says he can reprogram the tranny but it's not likely to change the shift points and it's not likely to do anything because the service light is not on.

He says by my description it sounds like either a fuel filter(new) or pump.It only gets better because now they sell an entire "module" that drops in the tank(everything included) for a mere $500 and it's over $700 for them to do it.

BTW-They want $50 just to check the pump,what do ya say there oh wyldone:p ?
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

The newer trucks are very sensitive to fuel pressure,so it could be a pump.$50.00 to check fuel pressure is pretty steep,so shop around.

Try another dealer for the reflash.Tell them your trans isn't shifting right,and they should take care of it.
  10. Arc Burn

That's it,Chris,clean out a room,i'm movin to Ontario:D Look out Canada,here I come!Just kiddin
    Thanks for the help guys,hopefully it's not a fuel pump.Did that price seem right for the new "module" Chris?
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sounds about right.They are $700-800 here depending on application.

Don't be temped to go aftermarket,as they do not last,and sometimes pressures are a bit low right out of the box.You don't really save that much,and it's not worth the headaches.
  12. Arc Burn

Next move is gettin the pump checked although there is no stumble or burble or any skip of any kind it's just real doggy,wouldn't low pressure give me some of those symptoms?
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

As the fuel pump wears,the pressure starts to drop off.If it's only a few PSI,then usually the concern is lack of power.Once the pressure gets to low,then you start to get a lean stumble on tip in,or a rolling idle.

The newer vehicles are so adaptive,that they can mask a bad pump for a while.The only complaint will be a slight loss in power.

Are you sure this isn't a jealousy thing cuz Johnny D is making all kinds of power now ? ;)
  14. Arc Burn

LOL,No!...I don't think so:confused: :D
    Nah,seriously though even when i got it i had some speculation as to the power but the truck felt so much "smoother" i thought it was just in my head.Like i said the real wake up call was the other day when i drove the 98' with the Vortech,there is simpily no comparison which got me to thinkin somethings wrong and the more i drive it and think about it i don't feel it shifts right.
    The only other thing i can mention is at 60k miles i'm not sure the tranny filter has been changed,i've got the filter and fluid but i've also got 400 different welding jobs sitting in the shop,hard to get my own stuff in sometimes:(
    I think Johnny D could rip me apart if he raced backwards at this point:cool:
  15. John DiMartino

Hey,I could alwasy race you with my 91 GMC,which is reliable,yet lethargicly slow,LOL. I love the truck,but the 350TBI is so sluggish once your above 40 or so,it struggles with any hills at all,LOL. Arc, I think your 6000 should tear the 350 apart. I have friends with both vortec 5700,s from 96-99 and the 5300 Ls1 derived 99-01's. The 5300's easilypull away from the older 5700 in any type of speed contest. Although towing is a different story the 350 Vortec holds its own against the 5300's there.Your 98 could have 4.10 gears,and the 2000 may have 3.73,that alone will be enough to make the 350 feel quicker,and stronger.
  16. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Ok this was posted in another thread about 6.0's .... Guess I was asleep when I typed it this morning.

Sluggish ???????????? I don't know about that
    I just completed a a three hundred mile trip ( a combination of highway and city driving) I did a quick calculation and came up with a average of 14.25 mpg. I havent done any work to my truck since I bought it a couple of months ago, and I admit I did have it running about 65-70 mph on the highway, so I know that that decreased the mpg a bit.

I don't know about the various comments about the 6.0 being sluggish... I haven't noticed it in my truck. As a matter of fact, I have to take off slow from a stop light/sign because I can actually break the back tires loose on dry pavement and spin them for quite a distance ( even further on wet pavement) if not careful.

I know the tires aren't brand new, but the do have adequate tread, so its not like I'm spinning slicks.

I do think however I may have a bad u joint because every once and awhile I hear a clunk. Gonna get the truck serviced, and have it all checked out for winter. Then It starts getting outfitted for winter. Checking out various plow dealers this week, and will soon have the plow mounted. then I am building a weight box for the bed so that I can retain a sufficent counter weight over the rear axles and still have room for eny equipment/supplies I might need to load into the truck for plowing.
  17. Arc Burn

I'm gonna check the tags for the gears tomorrow.I also have a few buddys with the 5300 and the 98' will walk them,so at this point it's probably about the gearing in that truck.
    I'm not sure i'm ready to race your 91' either,imagine if i lost:eek: I'd be the laughing stock of the town!

Hey Jeff,LOL,I read your post in the fuel thread this morning,no prob:waving: Do you know what gears you have in yours by any chance?
    John,if this was a gear problem,do you think it would be worth swapping them out?How much $$ am i lookin at? Thanks for the help fellas
  18. John DiMartino

Jeff, I noticed the same thing as you,ive only driven 3 6.0's,but they all were plenty strong and had what i thought was more than enough power,especially for a base engine. Arc,maybe you have what Vinnie and I call a "crack 5700,and a "slag 6000",LOL. If your 5700 can beat a 5300 in a similar truck,then you defintelty have a strong one,its a keeper.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2003
  19. Michael F

Michael F Senior Member

I have two trucks similiar to your.
    1999 k3500 reg cab 454 with 4.10 gears, and a 2002 2500hd ext cab 6.0 with 4.10 gears. The 2500 is faster off the line & tows better. The 454 is rated at 270 hp, the 6.0 is at 300, I'm not sure about torque, I belive the 454 had like 30 more ft/lbs. Like I was geting at if set up the same, your 6.0 should definitly keep up.
  20. Arc Burn

No tag on the axle,is there a code in the glove box that might give some insight,I did notice i have the snowplow prep code in there the other day.