1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2000 1500 Springs

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 86burban, Jan 13, 2004.

1. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

My buddy has an 00 1500 ext cab that he uses for plowing. The front sat low from the get go and now with the plow, he doesnt have enough room to get a jack under his plow frame. He is looking to get springs to get the proper ride height, not timbrens, not bags, springs (Believe me, he's obstinant on the subject). What type of springs will give the proper ride height? He wants a good ride, I dont think even cranking the torsion bars would lift it up to a reasonable height.

Thanks,

Tony

2. GPB

GPB Member

I've never heard of anyone adding springs to a torision bar system. He maybe can find torision bars from a truck with the snow plow prep package. These will be stiffer than stock ones and the front end wont drop so much. Cranking them up will gain a little more also. If he wont use timbrens or air bags I dont know of anything else that would work.

3. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

The front end sags without the plow mounted on it. He wants to lift the whole truck up so that its level without the plow.

Tony

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Leveling kit.

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

The initial comment about the front-end sitting low before the plow was put on would lead me to believe that possibly someone had adjusted the torsion bars to lower the vehicle. With the plow off readjust the torsion bars to get the vehicle back to the correct ride height. 2-3 extra turns should be enough to compensate for the weight of the plow and add a set of timbrens. Heavier torsion bars are also an option.

6. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Correct ride height for the truck is 4.25-5.0 inches, measured from the bottom of the knuckle to the center line of the cross member. That is the factory spec. An alignment would be recommended after any adjustment are made. You could just have an alignment shop make the adjustment during the alignment. I would set to the high side + alittle extra for plowing.

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

First try adjusting the torsion bars. They are made to be adjusted. GM even says that they should be adjusted for added weight up front. Measure and jack up the truck to take weight off of em. Dont ever rais the truck more than an 1.5" with the bars though. edit: this is based off of factory hight and the 1.5" is with the plow up if he runs with a plow on. He should lower to no more than 1.5 over factory speced hight in the summer to avoid premeture wear. its not the added spring in the bars thats the problem(there isnt any added) its the angle of the cv's and the rest of the front end parts

Second. a leveling kit is nothing more than different indexed keys so you can effectivly "crank" the bars higher.

3 timbrens arnt a bad thing. I have em on my 03 2500HD with a duramax and a 9'6" Fisher EZ-V. The truck will handle it without em but it takes some strain off the bars. They arnt a cheap gimick fix if thats what he fears.

last, you can get and replace the torsion bars with stiffer ones that were offered from the factory when all else fails. Find out what he has and do a step up. T-bars are the bigest pian to do outa all the options and the most expensive.

What size plow does he have. It might be a good idea for him to add more balast(or balast to begin with) depending on how much he has and were its placed(hope its behind the rear axel)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2004
  8. 86burban

86burban Senior Member
    from chicago

The plow is a 7.5 western unimount.

Tony