1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

200 amp alternator on '04 2500HD 6.0L??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PlowBoy85, Dec 11, 2009.

1. PlowBoy85

PlowBoy85 Junior Member

Gday lads, my truck wont keep enough charge in the batts to lift my plow after an hour or so of plowing, thinking about putting a bigger alternator in.....any thoughts? anyone else seen this problem?

plowing with 8' stainless fisher xblade

2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Do you have dual batteries? I put a bigger alternator on mine but it made my check engine light come. I went back to the regular one and it seems fine. I have dual batteries.

3. PlowBoy85

PlowBoy85 Junior Member

Ya has the plow prep package, dual batteries, 145 amp alternator, maybe the xblade is just too big for the truck

4. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

It is not to big for the truck. I have an 04 2500hd with plow prep and I run and 8.5ft poly blade with wings(close to 1000lbs) 6 head strobe kit, salter, and led lightbar(it does not dram any amps). With dual batteries. I have the 145amp alt that came with and it does fine even after 30 hours of work. Maybe you just need to put a new 145 amp alt in and that will fix your problem, But for a few bucks more you can go with the 200 amp. might as well since you have it out. But I am not the exact expert. Ask B&B. He knows all..

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I run an 8' straight blade, full strobe/halogen lightbar, dual 60 watt halogen takedowns, hideaway strobes, radio and heater on 1 batt and the stock 145 amp (with 100k on it)and have never had a problem. Check your connections for corrosion, both at the battery and alternator lines. Clean them, put some dielectric grease on them before reassembly, and give it a spray of the battery terminal coating. The battery may not be getting a full clean charge. It also couldnt hurt to test the alternator and load test the battery. good luck!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Still running the original Delco batteries in it? If so, those would be part of your issue. 5 years is the end of the life cycle on them, if they even go that long.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

8. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I have a 2004 chevy 2500hd with plow prep. Last year my alternator fried. The switch stuck on and burnt one of my batteries. I upgraded to a 200amp alt. Best thing I ever did besides buying timbrens. I can run all my lights(running, head, and aux back up), heater on high, radio with sub, corner strobes, roof mount mini bar and plow. The lights dim for half a second and then back to normal. My dash volt meter hardly dances anymore. I think they are worth it.

9. PlowBoy85

PlowBoy85 Junior Member

Ok, im all fixed up lads, went and bought new fisher motor, works perfect! you should of seen the buildup of crap around the base.......