1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$20 for 4 Minutes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Toby, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Small Residentials @ $20 a Pop & They're Being Knocked out @4 min. each w/2 man crews...2-30 Drives Per Stop...max 5 min. to next stop.

Commercials Pay Better ? Not Even Close.
  2. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Yeah, I've got most of mine down to about 5 minutes with a 2 man crew. I could use a more dense route though. My best stop is 4 houses in 20 minutes all neighbors. Most of mine are seasonal, so I wont know how much I made till its over, but I also threw in a few per push just in case we got alot of snow. Not to mention I seem to get alot of neighbors that hire me now and then, those are just gravy because we are already there. 4-5 more minutes, and another $20-$25. I also picked up a small commericial that pays $45 and takes me about 12-15 minutes to plow, only 1/2 mile from home.

Overall I get about 18 houses done in roughly 3 hours. (maybe more if the neighbors come out.)

So avg. $120 an hour for me doing residential. I know it would be better with a more dense route.

3. Toby

Toby Senior Member
    from NY

Most of the contractors here were charging $35 per push...I hit the subdivisions and specific suburbs w/flyers 3 years ago w/$20 a Pop Pricing....

Density We Have.

Anything under 6" they Are Solid Under 5min ..2 Men.
  4. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I just did my commercial run tonight little 2 to 3 inch storm. I didn't do any residential. It worked out to $ 175 per hour from when I left to I got home.
  5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

yep, last year we averaged almost $200 an hour doing commercials. You can keep those pita residentials.
  6. smokinspartan

smokinspartan Junior Member

ive been doing residentials at $35-45, just the driveway, no sidewalks shoveled, and no walkway either. 1 man crew, just me. i go door to door, in all the nice neighborhoods in my area when there is a lot of snow. i go mid morning, all the husbands are off at work, and the stay at home wives, think there doin the husband a favor, so he doesnt have to push the snowblower around , when he gets back from work. i do about 40-50 houses each big snowfall. just goin door to door, i was 21 of 21 at one point, all on the same road.
  7. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

Wow...that is pretty efficient! Does your crew do the sidewalks too? The reason I ask is I do my clients sidewalks (1 man crew) and I feel it just takes too much time. I feel I could plow a couple of driveways in the time it takes me to do a sidewalk and steps. I'm thinking next season I will stop doing sidewalks and just focus on driveways where I can get the best bang for the buck. What do you think? Thanks!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  8. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

Bah, I can beat that ..

All commercial work, $18,000 for the properties inc. salting ..

Materials - $1500
    Labor - $3000
    Expense - $1000

The rest for me.... I would say thats better then residential :salute: :salute:
  9. Mower For Less

I do driveways, sidewalks, and front porch. Best times so far are with truck clearing the drive, and my helper using a snowblower and shovel for walks and touch up areas. If I had a full route, I could pull about 7-8 an hour, so around $200 an hour would be a definate possibility. And thats US funds (just caught that Toby was in Canada, eh!)

10. Mower For Less

How many propertys and how many trucks are you running???
  11. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

So 12,500 CND, which translates into roughly $5.28 USD? :D
  12. alpine692003

alpine692003 Senior Member

LOL .. Bastards ..

I only run 2 trucks, 6 people ... about 5 properties ..

Only using shovels

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes but $5.28 goes a lot further up here and you get free medical. Dah. :rolleyes:
  14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I have to agree with Metro lawn, you can keep the residential. Seeing how you have to wait for some significant snow fall before your allowed to do them. My commercial accounts are on a 1" trigger with salting so while your waiting for alot of snow I'll be plowing and salting which leads to making more money.
  15. mister_snowplow

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay your helper? I too have a snowblower and it would be nice to have somebody man the blower while I plow the driveway. Thanks! :waving:
  16. Mower For Less

I currently pay him $12 an hour to man the shovel and blower. He is not experienced enough to drive the plow truck yet, or I would bump him up higher. He also helps me durring the summer with mowing. I have been paying him $10 durring the summer.

17. mister_snowplow

I think I'm going to look into hiring somebody for next winter. Thanks Kevin!