1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

20 Bucks An Hour!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I cant beleive I cant find some younger, available guy/girl to shovel about 5-6hrs worth of sidewalks for 20.00 an hour. No one wants to work any more I guess. Its been snowing since last week and yesterday we were supposed to get the ol' 1-3" and got pounded with over a foot! and no sidewalk guys at all. I love the excuses and the annouying "can I get paid early", I'm broke can you front me some money". I had one guy call me asking these questions and his morgage and truck payment were over due, so I called when it was snowing like a b!tch and no answer, come to find out he was drunk watching the football game Sunday night....I LOVE IT! One other MORON made some sidewalks and driveway look like a beach with the amount of salt he used. This place takes 4-5 50lb bags of the turf safe salt which is pretty costly and he used 4 bags on 1/4 of the property, and everything was shoveled down to the pavement, it just needed dusted with salt, well he burried them...THANKS JACK ASS! Sorry for the vent but holy crap what a week!

2. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Have you tried looking for people outside of the mission?

LOL, Al

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

hey ill come work for 20 bucks an hour if u got some place i can crash

4. haybaler

haybaler Member

tell me about it, I have the exact problem here. they only show up when there desperate for cash. they want to be paid right then and then they don't show up for the next storm. If it's friday night storm or during football forget it.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

try craigslist.
    I've done very well with it.

6. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

What about checking out the high school news papers? In my area they have them and you can buy ads. Shovelers, $20 an hour, Fast Cash, Beats flipping burgers! Call xxx-xxx-xxxx

7. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

I'm trying that now for the upcoming green season. You'd be suprised the morons you get on there too but hey I guess you gotta take the good with the bad. I'm having trouble finding the good guys with a valid drivers license and no ovi's or wreckless op's.. Insurance wouldn't be cheap.

Then you've got ones that have no ambition and don't really want a job, just a pay check. Drives me crazy.

Guys that have good workers that have all these min. requirements

8. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Got any full serve gas stations in your area, go there and ask one of the guys if he is looking for extra work. They have been some of my best sidewalk guys ever. They are use to the crappy weather. I also have a backup guy that has the neatest driveway and sidewalk at one of the condo units we service. He is always out either doing his driveway or having a smoke givin us the thumbs up, I asked him one day if he was looking for some extra work and he was available. Employees are one of the hardest things in business. My girlfriend runs the front end at a home depot, she has something like 30 employees she has to look after, I dont know how she does it. I would want to murder some of them some times. Easiest way is to work with them for one night, lead by example, always works well. Finding a sidewalk guy that can drive is another story.

9. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Go to your local high school or college campus and tell them you need a student to do some shoveling for $20 per hour.

10. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

payupHigh school kids are like all other kids, they have mom and dad giving them everything anyway, "You want me to go freeze my butt off and do what??" I now charge way way extra for shoveling because I hate to get out of the truck too!!! Call me lazy but I put my time in shoveling snow for over 6 years now I only plow for the last 9 years. I must be old, but I am there doing my job as promised.payup

11. Brian Young

I agree 100%. I cant say that I've shoveled walks for 6 years but I have done my share. My problem is IMO, 20 bucks an hour is good money and even more, it ticks me off when they say they can and want to do it then leave me hanging looking for guys when I really need them. I would at least finish my route and tell whoever that its not for me but thanks. There is a good work ethic...too bad its working hard to find less to do.

12. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Where are you in Ma? I have a kid that works with me in the summer looking for something to do. I pay him ten. For twenty he will wake you up and tell you where the snow is.

13. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

The only decent people i can find here already have a day job and can only shovel from 3-7am. Thats the type of guys I have been using for years. Me and my guys have to pick up the slack during the day time. Most people available 24-7 are waste cases.

14. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Try posting on your local Work Force website. Thats how I found several great guys. The ad is free too. You can see how many look at your ad. The State unemployment office is another good source.

15. DFLS

DFLS Senior Member

Good shoveling help is hard to find. My son who is 15 will not get out of bed to shovel when there is a snow day for $20 an hour. He has a friend who will though. But teenagers do not last long at all and want to go home 4 hours into the job. I have two friends with full time jobs. One of them bends over backwards to help anytime he can even after getting off work at 11 pm (works 2nd shift). He'll stay out with me through the night till mid morning, grab a 2 hour nap and go back to his regular job at noon. Sometimes refuses to be paid, says he needs the exercise. But the timing of the storm does not always work out for using him. Another long time friend of mine has helped me dozens of times when the snow is heavy and his day job is canceled. He knows exactly what needs to be done and does it super fast. I usually treat him to 4 Benjamins for his efforts. Tried labor provider services, every time though they got lost trying to find the meeting spot and the workers did not speak English. Wasted my time showing them what to shovel (and what not to shovel).

16. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I dont't think it is fair to lump all the high school kids into this category. I know quite a few that work for their own money. I also know some that just sit around. jmo

17. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

come to new jersey and the kids dont even know what working is. all they do is go to school , play sports, go to colloege, have there parents pay for addtitln grad school, another reason for them to party, then when there done they give them down payments for houses and crap. hopefully these ways are changing as our economy is in the crapper and idk how long these stock market groupies can stay afloat.

18. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

yup ur right i was on a cruise with my parents year ago i dno and these kids were like where r u from i am like ohio?? there like ooo hows the farm? i am like farm i dont live on a farm. so i work for a living i dont think theres nothing wrong with that.

19. Brian Young

I hate to say it but give me an illegal Mexican any day! lol

20. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I know all about bad employees (we have had 20-30 at several times) but my question is why do you shovel?

We do a mall so all our sidewalks are done with skid steers or 4wheelers. I just always wondered why with hours of shoveling do you not use a snow blower and only shovel the areas a blower cannot reach.

It's just a question I wondered about, im sure there is a answer.