1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

20 acres with 3 trucks?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by ZachXSmith, Oct 29, 2010.

1. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

Can 3 trucks clear a 20 acre property in 8 hours? 9 foot blades with wings.
    3 lots that are about 6.75 acres a piece.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Thats a lot of snow. I would say you would make a good dent in it in 8hrs.
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

How much snow? How far are the pushes? In a perfect world you could do 2" but if you get a heavy wet snow your screwed.
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I agree with Dave. You should be able to do an acre an hour on average........but be prepared for the above average snows, and we don't know if they're average lots.
  5. vinces designs

vinces designs Junior Member

why would'nt you find a sub with a loader or skidder to help? can you rent a piece it will save you a load of time.
  6. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

I dont think 3 6-7 acre lots justify a loader, Maybe a skid steer. ive done a 15 acre mall with 3 trucks no problem. I may hire a loader just for stacking.
  7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It can be done, but you're a hairs breath away from failure with any real snow depth.

Silly not to consider loaders.
  8. vinces designs

vinces designs Junior Member

payupit has nothing to do with capability its all about efficency, A back hoe with pushe rbox will out plow any truck, Which allows you to move on to other accounts and during heavy snow falls the hoe can run around to lots and hog out ofr trucks which will allow you to finish on time and be the super hero
  9. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i agree with others, once you start getting into this large of accounts, it is time to look at a loader, a skidsteer well help with the stacking and stuff, but a loader (or even a backhoe) well be so much more efficient. What happens when one of those trucks breaks down? IMO small trucks aren't meant for that kind of work, kind of like taking a kubota sub compact tractor/backhoe to dig out a basement for a house
  10. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

What kind of expectations doe's the customer have....I disagree that a 6 acre site doe's not warrant a loader...Have you ever serviced accounts this large....You have to Think of the most efficient way possible to service these accounts in order to satisfy the customer......JMO and i am Very Clueless...:help:
  11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I don't think it justifies a loader at all, although it would be convenient, and only if they're literally one next to the other. 6 acres isn't as big as some of you guys make it sound. The year before last I subbed a 12 ac lot with trucks only and we did it quite efficiantly. 4 trucks in 4 hours give or take.

It's nearly impossible for us to advise without a view of the lot.
  12. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Nobody is saying it can't be done...Is it the most efficient way..No...Like TCLA and a few others have said..A good storm and you might find yourself in trouble....I think the OP is looking for people to tell him its OK....So...Its OK...Go for it.....:drinkup:
  13. ZachXSmith

ZachXSmith Senior Member

Like i said I've done many large accounts in the past, I was just wanting opinions. Which this site is full of, And I thank you for all of them. I can post pictures. The problem is I have another 4 acre lot about 20 minutes away from that one and another 7 acre lot about 15 minutes away. So I was gonna assign two trucks to do the 4 acre lot and the 7 acre and send my other 3 to the 20 acre site.
  14. JohnRoscoe

JohnRoscoe Senior Member

Wow, I bet you don't get much sleep when it snows! That's abt. the most I'v heard of without a pusher. I can see how it would work in an average snow, but if you had more than 4" on the ground at once, that could get ugly!
  15. GMC Driver

GMC Driver Senior Member

It's up to you - I hate spreading myself too thin.

I might be a skeptic - but I have a Plan B and Plan C in place. Nothing sucks more than freaking out trying to get it all done. Been there once and don't want to go back to it - not good for anyone's health!!

You in LE country?
  16. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

When its snowing hard, commercial clients want you on the spot plowing until the storm is over. Then salt! Theres absolutely no waiting until the snow has accumulated 5cm or anything past that:nono: If a truck or two breaks down ( like a tie rod or power steering hose) your done until the next morning! Sure you can rely on others....as soon as they get their snow done first tho ;)

Loaders, backhoes & tractor pushers are the way to go for 20 acres :nod:
  17. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

What do 3 6.75 acre lots like? Do they have islands? Curbs? Are there going to be cars in it 24/7? Are there light posts that'll you'll have to watch when backing up a loader (someone on here hit one)(can't recall who it is).
  18. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Isn't that a majority of the questions on this site? :laughing:
  19. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

Just curious...What do you feel your 4 trucks are worth for 4 hours each to clear that lot on a seasonal price? How do you feel it compares to a single loader with proper attatchments doing the same amount of work as four trucks? (Lets assume a single loader with the right operator and proper QA pushers and blades could do the same work as your four trucks) ....With Trucks you have the wages of four men, The cost of insurance on four vehicles and cost of four seperate fuel bills? As well as the cost of ownership of four trucks and their maintence. Just wanted to hear your thoughts?

In comparison to a single loader...one cheaper insurance, one wage, one payment,one fuel bill and the ability to move heavy accumlations of snow with no problems? Do you think the trucks are cheaper and more efficient?
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  20. DellDoug

DellDoug Senior Member

I agree particularly on 30+cm (12") of snow accumulation. The big iron doesn't slow down or care. JMHO