1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

20,000 miles on tires ... really!!!

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by thelettuceman, Aug 28, 2012.

1. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

2011 Ford F250 Super Duty with Power Stroke sitting over the front wheels..... bought new 2 years ago .... Stock General tires ..... 15,000 miles on odometer ..... I am estimating at 20,000 I will need new tires .... these have been rotated every 5,000 miles. Keep 70 psi in them, 80 psi is max tire pressure. I drive like an old lady. Definitely do not dog the truck.

Is this normal wear?

I want to buy something with more aggressive tread to fit on stock wheel. Not looking for monster or stomper tires. Not looking to lift the truck.

Anyone care to chime in with some advice. Thanx in advance / Rick

2. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge PlowSite Veteran
    from NJ

I've seen tires do this before, especially tires that came stock on the trucks I've bought new.

Q for you is .... what is the wear pattern ? Is it even all the way across the tire, inside of the tire worn? outside of the tire worn? both inside and outside worn ? Middle worn ?

If the tires are worn evenly, then it's just the tire, and not the truck wearing them out. Diesel trucks add around 300-400 lbs over the front wheels comparatively to a gasser. Tires wear faster because of the added weight. OEM tires SUCK and that's because they're designed to.

My wife's toyota SUV had tires that lasted 25k on them. I switched to michelins, and now she averages 75k or more. Yeah, I paid more, but less problems and better traction.

3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I have a set of Michelins that have a 70,000 mile warranty on them. 23,000 and their to the wear bars. Tires just do not wear like they used to.

4. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Stock tires suck its that simple. i swap to bfg at or goodyear duratracks

5. thelettuceman

After reading your comments I do not feel like I have done anything wrong. Normal tread wear across all tires. I agree, OEM tires SUCK and that's because they're designed to.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

lettuce check out mastercraft tires. I hade their most aggressive tire on my duramax and pulled 50k miles on them mostly towing with a d load range. i just put a new all terrain on in an e load range and hope to get the same life.

call butler tire in frederick, 901-633-1343 ask for donnie. tell them steve over at sal's told you to call.

7. Holland

Holland Senior Member

My GMC had a brand new set of goodyear silent armors on it when i bought it. I got a whopping 12k out of them. Running a cheaper set now and have gotten around 30k out of them with a bit to go before winter. Just how it goes sometimes.

8. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I'll second this,,,,Mastercraft puts out a hell of a tire, at an affordable price, I've pretty much switched my mindset completely to Mastercraft AT2's in E range.

9. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

what size mastercrafts ya'll runnin?

10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

265/75/16 e

11. oldbluehairhemi

i have 265/70/17 E mastercraft courser at's on my dodge and love them. they were on the truck when i bought it so i don't know how long they have been on there but i put almost 20,000 miles on them and still plenty left.

12. thelettuceman

Lot Of Love For Mastercraft ... I will be checking them out before the snow flies .... Thank you for the advice.

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

yep 265/70/17 also...um 235 85 16 on the one ton i think? definately try them.

14. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

While I will also back up the praise for the master craft tires I will also say that they are going up in price as their popularity increases

15. oldbluehairhemi

Everything is going up in price! not just tires haha

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you like the AT's, wait till you try the MSR's in the snow

17. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Copy that on the msr's 2COR.,, though I only get about 12k on them 246/75/16's

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you running them all year?

19. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Yes I am lol

20. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Thats what happens when you buy a truck with a rear end in the front end . They came up with a thing called independent front suspention about 25 years ago . Ford made a real sh!tty independent front axle years ago and bailed on it and went back to solid. Mabey soon they will catch up to GM. But I doubt it.