1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Year Old 810 acting wierd !!!!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by newlooklandscp, Feb 27, 2006.

1. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have a two year old Blizzard 810 Power Plow on my F450 Dump. Its in great shape with minimual rust on the power hitch and mount. But once and a while this happens.

Problem #1 .... once in a while when we go to mount the plow to the truck the power hitch contacts the vehicle mount and sparks. Then the power hitch wont work (the whole blade for that matter), and the plug smokes alittle leaving a small melted around on the vehicle plug around the ground. Whats causing this? Bad ground? if so how do you fix it?

or this happens ...

Problem #2 .... going to take it off the truck and the plug will smoke, leaving the same melted around on the plug again. Plow will freeze and if you wait a couple of minutes a fiddle with stuff (on/off etc.) the plow will then start to work again. What is going on?

But once you get the plow on the truck (with or without the power hitch problem) the plow opperators prefectly fine. Usually we leave the blade on the truck on all winter but this problem usually happens only when we go to take it off or on after a long period of time. Anyone have any ideas? Blizzard just says bring it in. Anything????? Help if you can. Thanks

Ken
    New Look Landscaping

2. appleman

appleman Junior Member

Ken,
    Before you attempt to hook your plow up again, you should double check your ground. It is of utmost importance that you are grounded directly to the battery.

Tom

3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

I had almost the same problem with mine two days after installation. Ground to battery was slightly loose...tightened it up and no more sparks or smoke.

4. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Thanks,

Now that I think of it, its been doing it on and off since I got it. I'll check it this weekend when I get back over to the yard. If it doesn't fix the problem I'll post to let you guys know.

Thanks Again,
    Ken

5. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Ok guys, I tightened up the ground and the problem was still happening last night when we went to hook up the plow to go out. So by chance I leaned on the plug (the truck side is mounted on a bracket to the plow frame so it doesnt move) and just so happens the problem was solved. But, as soon as, you stop putting pressure on the plug it goes right back to doing it again. Any suggestions on how to get this to stop? It seems to me it is just a plug problem. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Ken

6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Undo the hard mount for the truck-side plug so that it can move.

Check ALL the pins on both sides of the plug. They should all be straight, clean, and seated. You can clean corrosion with a little Pepsi followed by warm water. Lube with Fluid Film or dielectric grease.

While you are at it, pull the cover and check all the wiring on the coils. Be sure everything is tight. Goes for the solenoid under the hood too. Apply Fluid film to all of it.

7. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Thanks,

Will do this Saturday (3/11), it will be the only time I will have a chance. Once I complete all the above, I will keep you up to date.

Pbeering - do you suggest getting rid of the hard mount on the truck side permanantly? Both of my trucks have it, my 06F350 (with no problems) and the F450 will the problem plow.

Thanks Again for the info and time,
    Ken

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  8. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Check the ground on the plow end ! On my 810 it was acting like that and the wire harness has a ground to the plow frame, IT was loose. Make sure you get bare metal and tighten it hard.

9. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

ProSnow,

Where exactly is this ground on the plow side? I maybe blind but for some reason I cant find it. Thanks.

Ken

10. Blizzard Boy

Blizzard Boy Junior Member

Ground

Plow side ground,2 yr. old plow, Red wires bolted to pump housing, clean all elect. conn. and apply dilectric grease. And yes, get rid of the bracket on the other truck, that plug needs to be able to move.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Yeah, what he said.

Although, I prefer Coke to clean the corrosion. ;) :D

12. newlooklandscp

from Midwest

Nothing like good old coke to eat sh*t away. lol. Looked over everything, seems to be fine and just out the plows away yesterday. If the problem occurs next year guess it will be a problem next year again. Thanks.

Ken