1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 yd. Salt Dogg Poly

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by 06slvrctd, Oct 6, 2008.

1. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Anyone have any experience with the 2 yard Salt Dogg poly? Seems like everyone loves the smaller 1.5 yd. Looks like the 2 yard pretty much blocks all view out the back window. Also anyone have a pic of the controller. Wondering if the auger and spinner controls are separate?

2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

They are the same unit, except for the hopper size. I run a 2 yard unit, I doubt you will find a v-box that allows you the ability to see out your back window. You need to use mirrors period.
    The controller is the best on the market, it is made by karrier and it is a 2 stage controller.
    Look at there site you can see a pic there.

3. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

I run the 2 yard, I have it in a long bed so I have to use my mirrors but can also see my blindspots if need be. Never had any major problems with it, spread around 100 tons last year. Sometimes when its real cold you have to give the brakes a jab now and then to loosen up the salt but other then that I like it. Best bang for the buck.

4. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

Thanks for the replies, that is what I wanted to hear. The dealer says he has had no problems with the ones he has sold so far, but I wanted some real world experience.

One more question, how does it unload? That may sound silly, but years ago I had a Swenson V-Box that unloaded front to back. When that thing was half or less it seemed to really tax the truck with all the weight distributed so far towards the back of the truck.

Just trying to avoid going with another heavy steel v-box and gas motor. The Salt Dogg seems to be the way to go.

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Our V Boxes unload front to back (stainless steel and gas motor), I like the additional weight staying over the rear axle for more traction

6. GreenAcresFert

It unloads evenly, its has 2 adjustable openings front and back. Thats the other thing,... if you buy it don't open those baffles all the way up, not much past were they are set when you get it. The auger can't take that amount of salt all at once and it will jam, thats no fun trust me. Leave them 1/3 to 1/2 open. How much are those going for this year? I may want to sell mine, its only a year old and I'm going to liquid.

7. 06slvrctd

06slvrctd Member

I want to say it was around 3900 installed.

8. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I have two of them and love the he!! out of them. As stated earlier, do not open the gates all the way open! Mine empty evenly or very slightly from front to back. Keep your salt dry is the biggest key for these to work flawlessly. I have ran 100 ton through mine and look forward to another 100 ton this year.payup

9. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Do any of you use salt sand or do you use just salt, and why? would liquid be better? I am looking to buy a stainless salt dogg.

10. GreenAcresFert

I ran regular salt

11. LHL Inc.

LHL Inc. Member

Any particular reason except for tracking the sand in the buildings? We have plowed snow in the area for nine years and have alot of requests for sanding.