1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Yards of bulk salt picked up at a time in Columbus Ohio

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by gahannalawncare, Jan 4, 2015.

1. gahannalawncare

gahannalawncare Junior Member

cant seem to find a place that will see 2 yards of bulk salt at a time. I don't have a place to store 20tons of salt. Was looking to buy an pick up each snow storm. can that happen here or should I go back to bagged salt and tailgate? Any help would be great. thanks
  2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

When I made the transition from tg spreader to vbox 3 years ago, I was in the same situation as you. Didn't have space to store large quantities nor the means to load it. But it seems that all the distributors only want to sell in quantity and deliver only, you still have to have a means of loading it for yourself. I was lucky and found another (much larger) competitor who was willing to sell me a spreader load at a time and gave me the code to his skid steer. I just texted him every time I loaded and how many scoops I took and then settled up after the storm. He was good to deal with and I thought I had it made. Worked great til last winter when he stopped getting his deliveries to replenish and could not be told when or if he would get any more that season. That was in mid January and as you know that is when all the snow last season started. So I get a text a day before the storm saying sorry, can't sell to you anymore with an explanation of why. Needless to say, it sucked and I had to scramble every storm to find someone that would sell to me to get me through the storm. My suggestion to you is that you try to find a large competitor near you that would be willing to sell to you. The only thing is that you have to keep in the back of your mind, a plan B, in case you end up in the same scenario as me. Maybe have a couple pallets of bagged set aside to get you through a storm in a pinch. Then, if you are serious about snow removal, bite the bullet and do what I did this year. Buy a shipping container, a skid steer and store at a clients property (in exchange for free services) or rent storage space at a local storage facility so that you can be self sufficient.
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

If I were in your shoes this is what I'd do as well. I'm sure there will be someone local to you that would be willing to work with you.

Sucks to have to keep the tailgate unit and bagged salt on hand as well, but I'd for sure do that as a backup just in case.
  4. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I store my own but our local county garage will sell per ton small loads. Or try a large contractor. But when their supply gets short you will get cut. Keep 2-3 storms worth of bag salt on hand for a back up.
  5. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

Try calling pinnacle property maintenance