1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 yard spreader in a 3/4 ton truck

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by BDEMOTT, Jan 15, 2011.

1. BDEMOTT

BDEMOTT Senior Member

I know im going to get some heat and many different views on this one. I have currently a 3/4 to 1 yard spreader that has been fine for me until now, I have 3 of my accounts going to a zero tolerance instead of just plowing. I need the extra capacity and am wondering if anyone has pictures of a 2 yard salter in a 3/4 ton truck. I currently have a 07 Chevy 2500Reg Cab. Before anyone says it I know I am going to be over wieght, but for a short distace until I start spreading it. Does anyone know what the total wieght of my truck is unloaded. Im posting it in theis section to see pictures of how good or bad it would hold it.

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

It'll hold it fine. Get a set of bags and tires that will hold the weight.

3. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

07 Reg cab. Is this a long bed or short bed. Gas or diesel

4. rebert

rebert Senior Member

if its a reg cab it has to be long bed..

5. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

airbags will help...they will not increase the gvwr but they will help handle the load. i have airlift load lifter 5000 air bags on my reg cab 2500HD

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I'll throw you some heat....

It's your funeral if you get in an accident.

I'm just disgruntled with guys running around with normal plates and over-loaded trucks and they don't eve get looked at by law enforcement.

I have commercial plates with the correct weight rating, and that seems to be a giant red-flag for the local law enforcement to pull me over and weigh me.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  7. mike1316

mike1316 Senior Member

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Common practice, Airbags or timbrens are a must. Don't carry a full load unless you are on your way to spread it.

I carry a Shpe2000 (2 yard saltdogg poly/elec/auger) in a 3/4 ton dodge with timbrens load range H tires. I find I get the best performance from the rig if I carry a scoop (3/4yd) of material (salt) while plowing. Good traction, limited yawl, surfactant mass, while not suffering from load induced power loss. Doing the Raisin Bran thing (2 scoops) is OK but I notice the weight while plowing, more though fuel consummation and handling issues then performance. Once I start to salt though I have it fully loaded with-out problems, though I will agree I am grossly overloaded according to my door sticker and registration. four scoops is the maximum I've ever had in it on this truck and I do not recommend it. The tires are screaming, the rig is so top heavy it is scary, it feels like the load moves the truck around at will. Helps to keep the blade on the truck while it increases the curb weight it acts as a very effective counter weight/ballast.

9. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Where did he say he was running "normal" plates?

Basher pretty well summed it up. Don't plow with it full. Airbags are essential, as with heavy tires. If you fill it, empty it soon.

Basher - what size are the LR H tires?

10. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

load range h
    my load range e tires are 10 ply

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Yet those Load Range E tires only have a couple of plies......

12. White Gardens

How many people in the snow industry actually put commercial plates on a 3/4 ton truck? I'm sure there is a select few, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't.

I don't want to hear the justification of "it's only a short distance" either. That still doesn't make it right.

That and even with the weight of a salter and a small load, it's still over-weight. Just the plow and the salter on the truck is going to max out it's GVWR.

I'll be strait honest with you guys, I have a severely huge chip on my shoulder over this issue. I'm doing everything legal, why can't everyone be held to the same standards.

That and I have a young son, and the last thing I want is any overloaded, over rated truck putting my son's life in jeopardy on the road.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I ran 18K plates on my K2500

14. White Gardens

Ya, and running 4 tons over the manufactures gvwr is the way to go too.

Love it.

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

When did I say I ran 4 tons over the GVWR?

I did exceed my registered weight a few times, though......

16. White Gardens

Like I said before, I have a chip on my shoulder.

I'm not trying to be a complete jerk in this thread, but justifications and breaking the law are really cut and dry.

There isn't any gray areas.

17. ISLDSNOWREMOVAL

ISLDSNOWREMOVAL Junior Member

white garden im sure you follow every law to the book. their nothin wroung with be over weight if smart about it.... but im also not saying you should be flying down the interstate get some bags and drive slow just my .02

18. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

I run a 2500 dodge and fill my 2 yard spreader every storm.Truck handles it.I do have overload springs and timbrens.Remember that its not a race and you will be ok.Try to get it off as soon as you can.I have commercial plates on my truck.In R.I. all 3/4 ton trucks run commercial plates.I don't see how the plates make any difference though.

19. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

well what do you weigh ? I see you have a 1 ton so 12500- 13500 is your gvw . empty with plow you sit at 8,000-10,000 so you only put 1.5-2.5 tons of salt in ?

btw I run 14 k plates cus, I add the trailer weight in too . so, my 3/4 ton sits at 7,300 I put 1/2 ton of salt I'm maxed out. . luckily, thats all I need for my route . in the summer I weigh 13,500 with my trailer and it has brakes on it to .

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

White Gardens - have you ever weighed your front axle with the plow on? How about with the plow on and your bed filled with salt/sand? What's your FAWR?