1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 yard snowdogg poly spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by beaudet, Dec 29, 2012.

1. beaudet

beaudet Junior Member

Hi Folks, we just bought a Snowdogg 2 yard poly spreader with the auger and electric motors.
    All the folks in the area use the same sand supplier. The first time we tried to use it, it did not spread as the sand would not come out of the hopper. The only way it would come out at all is if the vibrator was kept on and it was still poor.

So we took out the two baffles to see if that would help. It really did not. The vibrator had to be kept on and it still was only marginal performance. I suspect that keeping the vibrator on is not good either.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.:confused:

2. hatefulmechanic

hatefulmechanic Senior Member

I was told the SHPE2000's were salt or salt/sand mix, you running straight sand?

3. beaudet

beaudet Junior Member

Yes I believe it is straight sand.

4. hatefulmechanic

My rep from Buyers told me they clogged with straight sand.

5. beaudet

beaudet Junior Member

I guess he is right. Too bad the dealer that sold us ours did not tell us the difference. Thanks for input.

6. hatefulmechanic

BOSS is the only tailgate spreader that can handle sand, that I am aware of. Slide in units I think are Henderson and ones with chain feed.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The vibrator is meant to be run up to 30 minutes at a time.As far as pure sand,I can't see the salty dogg performing well at all.Why straight sand and not a 50-50 salt/sand mix which is the norm if not using salt or treated salt?