1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 x 4 wooden edges?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mikeb, Feb 25, 2000.

1. mikeb

mikeb Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone who only plows occasionally has ever tried using a 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 as an edge on a blade when dealing with a surface that is sensitive? I realize you would have to replace the edge often, perhaps each time you plow, but 2 x 4's are cheap! Or would it turn to splinters before you got to the end of the driveway? Just wondering.......

2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I don't think they would work at all. I think they would either split in half when the blade tripped. Or not really wear correct, because of the grain on the wood. Maybe give it a try and let us know.<p>Geoff

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Leave the wood on your house. For senstive areas look into a urethane edge. It will perform as well as steel, outwear it, and it wont harm gravel, parking garages, pavers. or grass.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

i agree with Dino

5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Yeah what they said.<p>Try it on a .5&quot; snowfall where you don't NEED to plow.<p>From my findings you do anything you can (if you plow for a living) and spend all you need to achieve 1.) Reliablity 2.) Performance when plowing.<p>Now, if you have a plow sitting around that pins on your truck that doesn't have ANY cutting edge and you just want to clear your own gravel drive, I'd give it a try.

6. Lou

Lou Member

Mike B......Whatever size (2X4 2X6) that you can mount and BOLT. Prior to mounting, get a solid piece of angle iron, cut it to length, drill and mount to the wood, then mount to the plow. I like field expediance.If you haven't got it, and can't get it, improvise.This may work. If it is hard to come by a factory urethane blade, and you need something soft, try bicycle tires. You can plow on a deck with those.If you dont think that will work, use your imagination.<p>Lou<p>L

7. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

if area isn't too big, could try these ideas & use a garden tractor with plow. Lots lighter & that'd be much of your problem is weight of the unit digging in to your surface.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>