1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wheel drive

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ppiccolo1, May 6, 2011.

1. ppiccolo1

ppiccolo1 Junior Member

I have a 3/4 ton suburban. It's a 2 wheel drive. Is it worth putting a plow on or is a 4 wheel drive required?
  2. JRS Landscaping

JRS Landscaping Senior Member

dont bother you'll be spinning all over
  3. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

I wouldn't do it.
  4. ppiccolo1

ppiccolo1 Junior Member

Thanks guys. That's what i thought, but I'd rather ask the ones that would know. This site sure is gonna come in handy.
  5. ppiccolo1

ppiccolo1 Junior Member

ok, my next question is.... I have a couple of good options for trucks set-up with plows, but I can't decide between. Buying a nice plow truck set-up and trying to sub or an Ariens commercial grade 2stage and hitting the high-end residential homes all over this area. I like the idea of learning the ropes as a sub, but also like the idea of controlling my workload better by going out on my own. Need more work? Go hustle more. Thoughts guys? I wanna have a plan and this sorted out, so I'm not half-assing it come October-November. Can I even find sub work with 10% unemployment?
  6. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

absoluty people dont like the cold just like some dont like being out in the sun.
    also if you are going to go the snow blower route better buy a back up. because havin only one it will go down on ya and only when yoy need it most.
    if you are going tp do residential and need a plow set up look at a jeep, dakota or gmc/chevy colorado/canyon.
    you can put a 7 1/2 ft plow on these vehicles and do both plowin and blowin services.
  7. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Post # 6 x 2 and with that equipment stick to residential work
  8. ppiccolo1

ppiccolo1 Junior Member

Thanks guys. I'm still debating a cherokee and john deere snowblowers for residential or a 3/4 ton to sub commercial. I just dont want to get in over my head. I have a decent budget and dont need to make a million. But dont want to be a hack either. Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!!
  9. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

I had an old '88 jeep comanche (like a cherokee) with a 4.0 I6 and auto, boy did that thing plow snow, I wouldn't be afraid of the cherokee, as long as it is mechanically sound.
  10. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

i would not go plowin no supermarket or home depot parking lots. but small lots and resi its a great combo.