1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wheel drive question

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Dave Ott, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Dave Ott

Dave Ott Junior Member

Having a debate with a friend. Alot of my commercial customers want me to plow for them. We service them for powerwashing during the warm season and also do alot of roof snow removal and ice dam removal during the winter for them. The problem I see is that my friend insists that I plow using a 2 wheel drive truck. The truck is a chevy 454 crew cab dually 21' long. I say it wont push a plow without a large spreader in the bed. He says it will. Now my 4x4 f350 does fine of course but that has to stay up north for the guys to pull trailers in traverse city where the snow is deeper as always. Do you guys or gals think this truck would push a plow with the weight in the back. We just get tired of our customers complaining about snow removal companies not showing up and why we won't do it. I just don't want another 4x4 down here it's just not worth it near the Detroit area where the snow never stays or piles up that much. The dually moves well in the winter in deep snow as long as it has weight, and I mean weight.

Thank you in advance.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I plow using a 3500 with studded snow tires all around, an 8' Vbox (975#) and 2 yard of sand/salt (2600#). It does very well on the level and small inclines. But I still use 4 wd often, especially in deep snow, moderate-to-steep inclines and ice. I really would never use any vehicle that's not 4wd for plowing. If you do, have two things handy - a cell phone and a wrecker.

The subject has been discussed and debated MANY times here. You could do a search using "2wd" and read for many hours.

3. Dave Ott

Dave Ott Junior Member

Thanks for the reply. My friend that keeps harrasing me has a dually 2 wheel, but he has alot of weight in the back at all times. Also the 4 wheel ones he has, he states he rarely uses the 4 wheel drive. I would just be doing a couple of gas stations and small restraunts. Maybe a few residential drives. Just trying to help the cash flow during the winter, I hate having to let some of the guys go during winter when they all need money. Have alot of shovels and snowblowers though LOL. If we go with this do you or anyone have a plow setup you would like to sell. Nothing fancy please, don't plan on running this truck into the ground because I need it for the warm season. Also a salter would be nice for the bed to keep the weight.

Picture 169.jpg

4. J & B Lawncare

J & B Lawncare Member

2 wheel drvie

I would go with a 4 wheel drive. Lots of people around this area (PA) used to plow with 2 wheel drive and it can be done. A lot of these trucks were older work trucks, seems that most had flat beds on the. A lot were farm truck and construction trucks. The difference was I do not remember any of them doing it for a living. It was all personal property or the neighbors. Heck when your truck breaks down, there is not a big rush to get it repaired and the plowing finished. Yep it was a hassle but there were no customers waiting on you.

J & B

5. Dave Ott

Dave Ott Junior Member

I understand what you guys are saying. I just wasn't sure if this was going to work. The two plow dealers said it would be fine and they have no problem with the 2 that they use. So we have bought the spreader for the bed. Now we have to get the plow. I am also looking at another 4wd dually ford up the road here. I just need the duallys for the weight that is in my trailers. I haul alot of water during the summer. I'm not worried about not getting to my customers since I do have a backup to borrow in the time of need, but we will give it a try since we will be doing alot of commercial lots. Also the Ford 4wd dually just might be in the drive by next week. I just need to quit buying things LOL Thanks everyone for the help.