1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wheel drive plow truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by sharpeguy, Feb 16, 2016.

1. sharpeguy

sharpeguy Junior Member

I have a 2001 Chevy dump body 2 wd I bought last July its been a great truck. I am thinking about turning it into a plow truck with a salter in the bed. My set up would be a boss DXT probably the 8'2" and the VBX 2 yard spreader. I figured with some good tires it should be ok. Please let me know your thoughts and experience. I have a f350 I have been using for the past 5 years but I would like to expand. Thank you!

dump.jpg

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Run studded tires with an aggressive tread.
    Think aboot a 9.2 instead of the 8.2, the 8.2 won't be wide enough to clear the duals when angled.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

x2 on the wider plow. training wheels run over your windrow on a smaller than 9 foot balde.

As for the 2wd. Try a search in the upper right of the screen. This has been debated since the birth of plowsite. You can find hours if not days of reading material in numberous threads.

Weight, good tires, and a driver with a brain are the most important things. It can be done, many of us have done it for years and it works fine. Truck will get stuck every now and then when driver goes into hero mode, but 4wd trucks get stuck in hero mode too! Thumbs Up

Welcome to the site and good luck with what your choose to do!

4. sharpeguy

sharpeguy Junior Member

Thank you for the advice I didn't consider a wider plow due to the duals!

5. sharpeguy

sharpeguy Junior Member

Thank you! I will have to check out all the other conversations on this. I figured they were on here somewhere but since I'm New I wasn't sure where. Training wheels I love it haha. I will be driving the truck the whole time and the place I will be plowing is pretty much all flat. Im not totally set on boss but there are some good dealers here in utah for them.

6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You'll still track over windrows when turning but for straight pushes you should be ok.
    I assume you're staying in the valley and not getting up in the foothills east of town.

7. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

We plow with 3, 2 wheel drive trucks. As said 9'2" plow, good tires, weight and a good operator.

8. sharpeguy

sharpeguy Junior Member

Sure they do get run over a bit some times. The property this truck would be servicing is on the east side in Sandy its a strip mall. I would most likely leave it there. The property is flat aside from a few slightly sloped entries into the property.

9. sharpeguy

sharpeguy Junior Member

That's really good to know, It gives me more confidence in my decision. Do you run your trucks with salters? If so what do you use? if you don't mind me asking

10. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Chevy 3500 with 2yard
    gmc 5500 with 1000 gallon liquid tank - Only 600 gallons when plowing
    gmc 7500 with 6 yard salter - Only 4 ton when plowing

They all have gotten stuck at some point but they are still effective snow removing trucks

11. doh

doh Senior Member

Ya 9'+ on the plow width.

They have been making snow longer than 4x4's.

12. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

Our f450 is 2wd and plows great when loaded, normally has a 4yd downeaster on it but has a 2yd salt dogg this year and still pushes good with 2 less yards. Like others had mentioned weight, good tires and someone who knows what their doing and the truck will be fine. Also if using treated salt will give you more weight then plain salt

13. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

The double back wheels will hinder traction a bit, but if you have a great big sand spreader back there (sand = good, salt = evil maker of rust), then you'll have enough weight (most of the time) to keep you moving pretty well.

Studded tires could be a good idea, if they are legal in your area. A set of CHAINS would be excellent backup, and of course, make sure you have a jack big enough to lift the wheel up off the ground for chain installation.

14. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

"The double back wheels"
    drinking early today .:drinkup:

:laughing:

Ive never jacked up a truck to put the chains on unless it was stuck already.
    then it may not be a good idea to be jacking up a stuck truck with a loaded salt hopper.

ps chains can also have restrictions on when they can be used.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Dooleys(east coast pronunciation) or Dually's we call them.

He could put super singles if he chooses or remove the inner or outter tires or do as many suggested with great results and leave the double back wheels.

16. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

No matter how you skin your cat Pat, I still prefer "training wheels"!

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

We call then Training wheels too.

A single in the back would be a good way to go if the training wheels caused a problem.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Every see a semi chain up? They don't use a jack, they roll/drive on the chains, hooked them up, drive a short distance and tighten them up.

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

.. and if you can't drive because you're stuck and need chains?

20. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Just like a engineer,
    get stuck first
    then take precautions.
    IE backpeddel