1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wheel drive dually

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Fannin76, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Hey everyone i was looking to up grade to a 1 ton and wondered how a 2 wheel drive dually would handle pushing snow.
  2. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

great in level parking lots with a couple yards of sand in the rear for weight. i'd stay out of driveways with it - especially ones with inclines.

although plenty of guys here will tell you how they can plow up mt. everest and never engage 4wd.....
  3. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Awesome great to know
  4. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 Senior Member

not to heavy of a plow, a full load of salt and good tires. we have a 03 ford f-450 2wd with 9' fisher hd and a 4yd down easter, fully loaded it can push anything.
  5. mtnbktrek

mtnbktrek Senior Member
    from NEPA

I wouldn't buy a 2wd for that but we use a 4wd dually and very rarely put it in 4
  6. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

I have a friend with a 2wd c3500 with a 9.5ft fisher V and he loads the hopper with salt and that thing pushes like crazy. He is only do lots and condos roads with it though, no driveways.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Can it do it? Yes. Is 4wd available for a reason? Yes.
  8. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

9. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

I'm sure with alot of weight and some really good tires you might be able to plow some level parking lots but thats about it I would think. I have enough trouble with my dually even in 4wd with salt on the back, I guess I really only have alot of trouble with it when plowing any inclines or hilly lanes etc, but it is a monster on open parking lots, maybe I will treat my self to a really good set of tires on my dually this year, that might help:nod:
  10. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Basicly like everyone else has said, good tires, a lot of weight, and THE RIGHT DRIVER. Can't throw someone who is throttle happy in one, because if they do break traction, they'll be in for a world of trouble..
  11. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Well I guess I'll just look for a 4x4 dually. Thank you everyone for the input
  12. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

What kind of accounts are you going to plow with it, dually isn't the best in my opinion, I would take a regular cab 4wd 250or 2500 before most anything, they will go anywhere. Dually would be good for wide open larger lots.
  13. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Well really last year I did a mixture if things. Small easy lots to a decent sized retail lot a few multiple acre lots and drive ways
  14. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I had a 2005 F-250 with an 8' straight blade, tailgate spreader and 4k lbs of salt in bed. I ran BFG tires that would go anywhere and through anything. I could bury the front tires 2' off the ground into a pile while stacking, rarely used 4x4 and almost never got stuck. My new truck is a 2012 F-550 4x4 with a SL145 hooklift hoist. I run a 10.5' Flared V plow, a 3yd vbox spreader and a 275 gal tote that I keep around half full of deicer. This truck weighs between 22k and 23k when set up to plow and the P.O.S. got stuck last winter about a half dozen times.

One of the biggest pieces of advice I can give is to pay close attention to wheel size. I upgraded my truck from 18k to optional 19.5k GVW not realizing that that changed wheel size from 18 to 19.5. You are really limited in that wheel size in tire selection, it came factory with Continentals. Most all are highway tread tires which suck in the snow. I replaced the rear a month ago with Michelin with more aggressive tread. Lets hope that helps.
  15. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

We had a guy near us that had a 2WD truck for plowing. He did pretty good with enough ballast but the front of the truck was so low that he wasn't able to clear the tops of curbs. His plow frame was only 3-4" off the ground.