1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wheel drive Backhoe w/ Pusher?????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by superiorsnowrem, Nov 3, 2012.

1. superiorsnowrem

superiorsnowrem Member

I have a 2 wheel drive backhoe. I just picked up some larger retail centers and would like to throw a push on this thing. But my concern is traction.

For those of you guys with pushers, do you think it is possible to put a pusher on a 2 wheel drive backhoe? pros and cons?
  2. Alaskaforby4

Alaskaforby4 Member
    from Alaska

Sure its possible, does it have posi? I would invest in some chains and start plowing. You will still be able to push quite a bit more then a pick up and be able to stack it much higher. Just make sure you dont get some 16' pusher that you cant even move. Good luck!
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Chains. And lots of weight
  4. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

I run a 2wd backhoe with a 10 ft pusher no chains and it will push anything u put in front of it just cannot turn . only backing up hills r a problem if u do not pay attention. with chains should be no problems.
  5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

I had a sub that had a 2wd 580case and we thought we would only use him when we had to but by the end of the season he had the most hours because we only had a 10 footer on it and it would get in some tighter spots then the hoes with the 12 and 14 foot pushers. He was also was a go getter so it worked out great.
  6. lawnboy2121

my machine is a lot heavyer than a case with bigger rubber . i think the machine will handle a 12 ft pusher with out to much trouble
  7. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Turning will suck. So will back dragging or moving any piles. But its doable.
  8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Steering shouldn't be an issue, the brake pedals are independant you can use them...use to plow with one in the early 90's. Stacking will suck cause getting out of the pile isn't a 2wd strongpoint.
  9. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

Most of the time there isnt enough weight on the front tires to do anything when your pushing. If you have to use your brakes to steer the 4wd isnt helping much. you should be fine.
  10. nms0219

nms0219 Senior Member

I have done alot of plowing with 2 wd backhoe's, Like others have said turning sucks, forced to use brakes. I think a 12' box would be fine. Just keep up on what your plowing and dont expect it to do the work of a 3 yard loader.
  11. Plow Solutions

Plow Solutions Junior Member

You will be fine with a 10' box no larger with a 2 wheel drive, i run 12' box's on my 4 wheel drives.
  12. superiorsnowrem

superiorsnowrem Member

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm going to go for a 10 footer, now I just have to find one :) any suggestions, and how about price of one?
  13. lawnboy2121

all depends on the weight of the machine and tires its pretty impressive how much snow my old hoe can push does not have any problem with a 10 ft pusher