1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wheel drive backhoe in the snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MetroProperties, Oct 9, 2012.

1. MetroProperties

MetroProperties Junior Member

I was looking online and am now considering in getting a backhoe instead of a tractor or skid steer. I was thinking about a used case backhoe and it seems like most are 2wd. How do they handle in the snow and can you use pushers?
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Just like trucks, spend the extra $$$ for 4wd. Trust me, you'll need it.
  3. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

8 or 10ft pusher max. We used a 12 ft on ours and it was too much for it to move with snow piled up in front. Wheel spin was a big problem.
  4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I've seen that here. The problem is their tires have really poor traction in snow... I guess if you threw chains on them, it would help, but a real "snow tire" that has a compound made for cold weather grip would help as well.

So strange watching this big hulking machine get stuck in what appears to be a small amount of snow.

Tire compounds are just not the same for working in snow.

Turn your volume off for this one

5. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

We used to use a case 2wd for years for stacking and pushing piles back. They get hung up in piles quite easy and there is a learning curve. In any case you will never need a tow out if you have the hoe, any good operator will just use it to pick themselves up and pull themselves out, still a PITA when it happens. 4wds aren't that much more money and much more useful. IMO 4wd just means "Way deeper" stuck less often.
  6. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

The problem with pushing snow with a backhoe on asphalt,especially just a 2 wheel drive rig is that very little of the rear tire surface is actually touching the pavement because of the tread design.If you took that same backhoe to say a gravel bank and were to push snow there,it would be a world of difference because now those huge lugs are able to bite and get traction.