1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

#2 What will wear out / or P.M. asap

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Avitare, Nov 16, 2007.

1. I mentioned my '99 Boss poly standard 7.5' ( beefed with 4th spring and a shock)

It is well maintained but gets a fair amount of use. I do about 20-25 long resid.drives
    and some are 500ft of gravel.

I often wash during the season and good powerwash at the end. I usually just touch-up
    paint and it has never been apart to paint or grease. Because there are no grease
    'fittings' , I suspect the bolts are getting worn in key pivot places ( center, cylinders,)

The cylinders are clean, smooth and dont leak. The pump shows no leaks or corrosion.
    Connections and hoses look good and not rusted.
    The solinoid has been replaced and I have just rewired the whole underhood system
    (changed trucks)

Since I have never disassembled this plow, all of the bolts are 8 years old.
    The wear places like the 'yoke' have been greased regularly but I am trying Slip Plate
    now. I will douse the whole thing in FF tomorrow.

But wonder: WHAT WILL WEAR OUT ?? Or What should I replace or get spare parts??
    Should the bolts be replaced??

The plow is clean and not rusty. But it is a bit loose.
    thanks
    tc

2. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

watch out for the springs, i know they can snap at the ends, hoses, solenoids.

Sounds like you have taken pretty good care of it. others will chime in but there is my limited advice.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You are right there are no zerks.
    The reason is they would get ripped off by the ice and shovel blades.
    There are grease ports. There small holes on the hinge where the pins slip into.
    You need a (special) fitting for your grease gun to service them.
    (see grease gun thread)

4. Which hinge ??

Is this the trip hinge ??
    Mine doesnt trip often because I use a 'yard-guard' 90% of the season.
    Is there a ?hole on the pivot /center bolt ??

Is the special fitting some kind of needle nose ??
    thanks
    and where in MN ?? is that high up?
    tc

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

One the trip hinge, use a jack stand I believe there on the bottom side.
    or there could be a small hole on top. I do not have a straight blade but a friend does ;) and he says there are holes on the trip hinge for grease.

The fitting looks like a zerk with a cone shape on the other side it's about a 1/2 inch long there are pics of it in the other thread.

Alt, Thats what my GPS says. I'm on top of one of the highest hill tops over looking Duluth.

6. thanks

no one has suggested replacing any bolts, so I will look for the grease fitting
    adaptor that Snofarmer showed to me.
    And, of course, see if I can find holes to grease. I have some Ford moly grease that
    should be a good choice.

Wondered about control valve issues under the cover??
    no problems so far.
    The multipin plug has been a son of a gun. Got a new cover for $6 --why did I struggle
    for years?????

Those places that I cant grease, I will try to spray with a lube and then FF.

(btw) I am the flag waiver for FF. People are starting to cross the street and walk away.
    (maybe I shouldnt always carry a can in my hand?))

tc

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I replaced the 8 bolts that bold the push beam in place after 8yrs of use.
    If they are tight there should not be much wear.
    I guess mine were a little loose as they showed some wear.

How does the pivot pin/bolt look?

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the play in my older blade is at the quadrant. We drilled the holes an 1/8 bigger and put new pins in and no more slop. It was a 8 year old 9' V though.

9. pivot/pin bolt

Is this the center frame pin?
    It seems to have a welded washer on the top and bottom.

If I raise the plow, I can rock it quite abit.
    So, I wonder if it is worn.
    Frankly, I am used to how it is and dont know what is normal, now.

Its 35 miles to drive the plow to my dealer in Boyne Falls, but that may make
    the most sense. Since I dont have the replacement parts in our small town.

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

center frame pin , It's the pin the blade pivots on when going side to side.
    Some slop is common/ normal. Can you tighten it at all?
    It is 8yrs old, has it had a lot of use? Replacing it may be a good idea if your hard on your plow like I am.
    It is rare for the pivot bolt to snap it usually wears the hole it runs through out of round

Got any pics? They would give us a feel for the condition of your plow.

11. keeping up with the maintenance

I plan to take some pics and see if the techies can show me how to present them.

But, I want to take pics of my Back Blade that we made for this plow last year.
    It was a huge time saver and so simple.

We also use yard guards ( steel tube over the cutter edge) and the combination
    works well.

So far, I have cleaned and painted the cutter with Slip-plate, brushed FF on the
    poly mold board and wheeled the rusty spots and sprayed over with a new
    rustoleum rust-stopper primer (happens to be flat black). coated the wear arch
    on the plow frame with Slip-plate too (prior effort was anti-seize)

My plow was mod with a 4th spring and we raised the top mount higher than the
    than the snow deflector. Added the shock too.

Tempted to pull the pivot bolt.
    Scrambling to final the strobes, try and replace the alternator and charge wires to bat.
    Change oils to synthetics, and change the plow fluid ( may have to wait).

bought more FF today ( need a case !!) but I give away a can every time I need to buy 2.

Photos as soon as I can get caught up.

Thanks for your ideas.
    I am going to try and use the new grease fitting to inject btwn the surfaces and
    to lube pivot bolts. Has anyone found a moly -spray ??
    thanks
    tc

12. greased with out holes or zerts

I did kind of a half-azz job but used the new grease fitting and some super Shell
    ford rated moly grease. All I could do is try and get the tappered tip betwee surfaces
    or under the bolts and just pump half a tube whereever I could.

Doesnt seem to have any means without pulling the bolts??

Not satisfied that I did much good. The center pin seems the most
    critical. I may have take more apart.
    Depends on the snow ,..
    tc