1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Wd Truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by McGrail Lawn & Snow, Mar 8, 2003.

1. McGrail Lawn & Snow

McGrail Lawn & Snow Junior Member

Ok I am new to snow plowing.
    I have been doing snow removal with a trailer and snow blower for 3 years and am tired of it.

I have a lawn care business and buying a 2wd pick up truck.

I plan on putting a tool box at the front of the bed for tools. And the smallside boxes that go over the axels and tires.

I plan on filling the side boxes with sand in the winter.

If I put a snow plow on the front of the truck can I expect it to work a light snow. Up to 4"

And also to plow the slush at the end of the drive after the snow plow goes by.

Please let me know if this might work or is this a waist of money.

I am already buying the truck
    and it will have a snow blower in the back because I have house that a plow wont fit on. MUST BE SNOW BLOWED.

So please let me know if this might work
    Thank you

2. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Will it work, sometimes. Will you be happy with it, no. Spend the extra money and get a 4X4, if not, stick with the snowblower. Do a search, alot of questions on 2 wheel drive.

John

3. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

A 2wd drive truck works about as go as a mower without the mower deck. You may as well buy a 4wd and then you can carry heavy equipment with out the As_ end saggin.

cheers

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

McGrail L&S,Welcome to Plowsite:waving: . . Plowing with a 2wd,can be done,you didnt metion how heavy duty the truck is,this makes a big difference,IMO. If you have a HD 3/4 or 1 ton,you can put a good amount of ballast in the back,this will make plowing a lot easier and safer. IMO you need a truck that will take at least 2500 lb in the bed+ the plow to do any good at all.You need enough weight to offset the plow and at least another 1500 or just to be able to drive thru a few inches of snow with the blade up ,and not get stuck.So if you have a 3/4 ton HD ot 1 ton,I would say you should be able to push a few inches on flat lots. Stay out of small driveways,and away from acccounts with hills either up or down,especially you wont be able to back up a hill you can plow down, and if you drop the front tires off the edge of the blacktop,your stuck. You will get stuck a lot,IMO,so keep the # of a tow truck/friend handy,you'll need it.A first time plower in a 2wd truck is a bad combination,just so you know,plan on being stuck most of the time.If you have a 1500 2wd,id say forget the idea,or sell it/buy a 4x4.The 4x4 is the best option.A 3/4 ton HD should be the smallest truck you buy,stay clear of 1500's for plowing. Good luck John D

Last edited: Mar 8, 2003
  5. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

One winter the front axle went out of my 1 ton chev. I ended up plowing with it all winter. I carried a skid of lockstone in the back for ballast. It is amazing what it would plow if you were careful. Did as much a six inches of heavy snow but the area has to be flat with no hills and you need a bit of a running start to get things moving and let momentum work for you. My biggest problem was if the plow went high into the pile and you couldn't lift it out you were stuck until you dug out the plow with a shovel so you could pull back. Also tight areas where you have to do a lot of maneuvering is hard with only 2 wheel drive because of all the stops and starts. Long steady pushes in big flat lots seem to work OK. Also you could get stuck on the tiniest amount of ice with no snow anywhere near your truck. Always had to keep sand in the truck. All in all it can be done but it really isn't too practical. Get a 4X4

6. carlriv2

carlriv2 Senior Member
    from Mass

Dual rear wheels works well with weight, single not so well.

I have a spreader in the back of a 1 ton and one in the back of a 3/4 ton the 1 ton we leave in 2wd most of the time, the 3/4 almost always in 4wd.

7. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

I have a 3/4 ton diesel 4x4 with about #800 ballast right at the back of the bed, And a boss V plow. I have used 4 WD only a few times this year, When I dropped the front wheels over the shoulder of the road. Having the 4 WD available allows me to be gutsy and drive through big piles of snow, It is surprising how well the truck goes in 2WD, We have had a poor snow year 8 inches fluff was the big snow. I plow the High School, Lots of sidewalk and gravel walking trails and the big paved parking lot. I also do several small commercial and residential, Most are quite flat. If you had a set of good tires and #1000 or more ballast and maybe tire chains, I think you could move alot of snow. The 2WD will have less clearance so you would need to be carefull not to run through big piles and hangup. Bring a shovel and a few buckets of sand to use on the slick spots.
    Hyperpack

8. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We have had the 4WD go out in the middle of a storm, and we just chained up and kept plowing in 2WD. Using chains full time is not ideal, and 4WD is really the right "tool" for the job with snowplowing, but since you said you were already buying the truck, you can make it work.

9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

The "plowing with a 2wd" has been discussed many times on here. Really, if it was realistic there would be a lot more experienced people using them. Just to reiterate some advise already given - stay on flat lots, off hills, use plenty of ballast and chains, carry a shovel and sand and a cell phone with the number of a tow truck.

From experience - I have a one ton Chevy dual real wheel. I use 2wd and do ok on flat areas if I have the sander full (sander is 975 pounds and sand is 2600 pounds). For any size hill or heavy, deep snow I'll use 4wd.

I never even try to plow in 2wd with the 1/2 ton.

10. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

if you insist on plowing with a 2wd, then follow the advice about the ballast, but something i think is a must, is some sort of locker, or posi unit.

with the two of them together, you will be ok for some situation's,
    but definitely not all.

plan on getting stuck, BECAUSE YOU WILL!

honestly, save you're money and get a 4wd.

11. drobson

drobson Senior Member

My 4wd went out at the beginning of this season, and I got stuck twice and could not get up a small hill on a driveway. And I had a few hundred pounds of sand in the back. Sometimes I plow in 2wd though, if it is a small flat area with not much to push. Of course I do get stuck now and then, and when I put it in 4wd the difference is amazing. I would never plow in 2wd without knowing I could switch to 4wd if I needed it. Well, I guess I would in the case of a breakdown, but I know which sites can and can't be plowed in 2wd now, so that helps.

12. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I saw one this year. A half ton with a plow and the back full of snow. Unknown how much wieght but it was full.

We had a 2" snowfall, the town had not plowed yet as it was in the wee hours of the morning, but cars had driven on it enough to make a nice hard pack. (Almost ice)

This guy was spinning his tires like crazy but was ony going 2 mile per hour all the way down the road, sideways most of the way, nice straight level road,,, till I passed him like I was on dry pavement with the 4 wheel drive on.

I'm not sure where he was going, but I have to believe, IF he ever got there at all, he sure didnt do any plowing.

And thats all I know about that.

13. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I plow as much as possible in 2wd. Less wear and tear and better mileage. But 4wd is always at my fingertips and simply reaching over and pulling the lever is a whole lot less stressfull than spinning wheels, or shovelling, or throwing sand under the tires, (and quicker too).

I think the bottom line is this--All you need to do is get really stuck in one place and it throws your whole schedule out the window, and that doesn't help keep customers happy.