1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Wd Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DAFFMOBILEWASH, Dec 31, 2006.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Just put together another plow truck recently. A 1993 GMC 3500hd 2 WD w/6.5 turbo diesel 5speed trans (maual). The truck came with a 10' metal flat deck, have placed a 2.5yd air plow salter on the back for weight and a 7.5' Arctic poly blade up front w/wings.

The rear tires are very aggressive, but the fronts are ordinary steer tires. Your personal opininons would be appreciated on the plowability of the vehicle. I put this unit together for the larger lots that I have. And as a salter, to save the wear and tear on my 2003 1500 Dodge equiped with a 2 yd snowway salter and matching snow way poly blade. (seems alot for a 1500 but with additinal 3 springs rear and cranking the tbars I have no complaints)

Thanks for your coments
  2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

one ton 2wd arent as bad as you think if you keep them on relativly flat areas theyll be fine and if you have a sprader on the back fill that thing up and tarp it and youll be fine
  3. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

we mostly plow in two wheel drive. save alot of breakage with employees. 4x4 sure does come in handy

Can 2wd plow truck handle 12" snowfalls. Keep in mind, Windsor has no hills.(As if it's ever going to snow)
  5. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I have a 97 k3500 4x4 w/a 9'2" v-plow. I use it for plowing a large lot. We plow with it most of the time in 2 wheel. I have no weight in the back and it seems to plow fine,except when its a wet heavy snow. I guess it still plows(o.k), its just not as good for stacking over curbs. It would seem the problem with to much weight, is all the extra wear and tear on the truck. Constantly moving and braking an extra ton of weight on the truck, cannot be good for anything.
  6. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I've plowed with a similar set up before as you describe. We found that a little extra weight on the bed didn't hurt anything and actually improved traction a little more. We basically built side rails and a header for a "bed" out of some old RailRoad ties, and it handled as much snow as you could ask of it!
  7. dlnimsy

dlnimsy Senior Member

I have a 95 GMC as desdribed below. I plow in 2wd 90% of the time, only when the snow gets really wet and heavy do i find i need 4wd. I do find that i need 4wd when doing my driveway. A little weight in the back and i don't think you'll have any problems.I hope this helps.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

That is an ideal setup for that truck IMO.

I plow my residentials in 4*4 because ide hate to slide forward while slipping in reverse trying to backdrag into their garge or fence!! lol

and the one commercial i do when their plowtruck isn't there (because one of the employees takes it :( ) i plow in 2wd because it is pretty much open and the parts where it isn't open are really tight and a tight turning radius is really beneficial and turning in 4*4 isn't good for it anyway!
  9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

My Mitsi is a 2WD with a locker. There is not enough traction to push up a drive if stopping at the entrance. You will also need chains when you get 5" plus on the ground and you have blizzered conditions while traveling between jobs. OR just plow every where you go. Its a tank on flat ground. Watch out how hard you push up in a pile so your plow doesn't hang -up.
  10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

We have that exact set up with a 9' Western. It plowed great for 5 years.

I would not recommend trying to push a 12" snowfall with any truck. After 5 passes across the parking lot you are going to have a mountain of snow.

The driving tires should be fine, with a loaded salter you have to drive accordingly. Leave room for stopping.
  11. BobC

BobC Senior Member

One of the things that seems to run in most responces is guys who plow in 2WD but have 4WD. The key here is they have 4WD when there is a problem. If you get stuck or can't push heavy snow if you are only 2WD you are SOL until you get HELP!! Not the way to plow reliably.

Thanks for your opinions

Thanks for all the great info. The major reason for this truck is its versatility and most of all botom line costs. In the summer it is used as a mini wash truck and rv hauler, and in the winter as a plow/salt truck. I only had a limited buget for this project, in total about $6000.00 investment.

:rolleyes: Lets all wish together for some white gold. Maybe our dreams will come true.:cry:
  13. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

I have the same truck and our last storm was 13.5" measured at city hall, and had no problems. This is my second one and it wwill be replaced with another 2x4 to plow with.
  14. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Hey Daffmobilewash how about some pictures of your trucks? I'd love to see that 1500 setup. Thanks

Will try to get some pictures of the fleet in the upcoming week. Have to get a new cable to down load pictures from the camera to the computer.