1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Wd Plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by burgundybob, Dec 15, 2004.

1. burgundybob

burgundybob Junior Member

I have a 1986 F-350 Crewcab PickUp, duel whl., two whl. drive, automatic. I am in the process of ordering another 4x4, but it might take longer than I have before we get snow.

The question is, is it worth trying to retrofit the cradle from a 86 Ford F-250, 4x4 onto a two whl. truck to cover myself ? Can I add enough weight in the bed to maintain traction? I'm in Va., can I add some form of snow tire, or chain that would create traction?

The plow I have from the other truck is a 8'0" Meyers blade with wings on each side. Is this setup wide enough to extend past the dual whls.? Are there extentions available if I go this route and need more width?
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

:nod: Some guys use 2wd 1-tons and plow with them around here in New Hampshire (we get a lot of snow usually). One guy who uses a 2wd one ton with a plow loads it with sand and it plows well.
  3. haligan125

haligan125 Member
    from Maine

Most of the Wheelers that Plow the roads are 2wd, but they are pretty freakin heavy, but i suppose it is possible
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If you have enough weight in rear (2 tons or more in a dualie) and gripy tires it will do quite well plowing in 2wd. I usually carry a lot of weight in my truck (more than 2000lbs at times) on a SRW truck and I have cleared more than one lot in 2wd on occasion.
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Just try to stay up on level surfaces, and don't put yourself down into a loading dock or anything. Weight is the key.
  6. Tarkus

Yes backing up a loading dock in 2wd with a plow on the front would be a bad situation.
  7. burgundybob

burgundybob Junior Member

Sounds more doable than I thought! A little ballast, some new tires, a new harness, and some creative torch and welding and I should be back in business. Thanks for all your input. Send truck to flat sites only.

That's not a problem in Coastal S.E. Virginia! Let the White Stuff begin!
  8. Tarkus

Make that a LOT of ballast too and you will not be disapointed! You want your rear axle to carry more weight than front axle at all times to work the best.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  9. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Hi Guys;
    I plow in 2wd as much as I [safely] can. I also have a 8ft spreader in the back which helps. It weighs about 1000lbs. or so. I also sipe, stud all tires. I'm just careful on my hills, if it looks deep or wet, I just pull it in 4x4. But I'd say 80% of winter I'm in 2wd. Just carry chains and use them if you need to. You'll be fine on the flat though with a 1000-1200lbs in the back.
  10. Tarkus

He will need more than that if it is a dualie and more too if it has a heavy diesel in front as well.
  11. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping Junior Member

I've had two dump so far that I plowed with, a 97 F-350 and the new 04 F-350 diesel. I rarely use 4x4 on flat lots and in my opinion you will be fine as long as you don't encounter ice, heavy snow, or hills. Stay on the flat land and plow every 4-6 inches and you'll do better than most 4x4 1/2 ton's or even 3/4 tons in 4x4. Good luck.
  12. Mark F

Mark F Senior Member

Hi Guys;
    Weight can also be your enemy. It can smoke trannies,u-joints,rear ends,engines. I like to stay as light as I can, but still have traction for the task at hand. I really rely more on my tires that extra weight, [other than my 1000lb spreader in the back].My tires are Wild Country's TXR 265/75R16s, on A 04sd f-350 drw reg.cab,reg.bed. I'v heard they tend to wear faster than normal, which they kind of seem to a little, maybe. But their real grabby.I like them a lot. They saved my @$$ more than once. Good luck, Drive Safe!
  13. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Go for it, I run a 1993 ford f 350 dual wheel crew cab 2 wd. Plows great , I have a 7.5 meyers on it , no problems with 1 or 2 tons of salt in the back. It does need the ballast empty it doesnt work too well .