1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 WD Dually? Anyone use em?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by leeddog65, Jan 26, 2005.

1. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

Looking at a 2wd dually with a western, and was wondering how it would plow? Im sure 1000 lbs ballast minimum, but that 8 ft blade would come in handy for those 5-6 inch snows.Any suggestions?
  2. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

Dual wheeled, yes, it'll plow. The weight, yes that'll help. Tire chains would help a lot too. There's a big difference. They are really better than snow tires. 8 foot plow? You could probably even handle a 9 foot.
  3. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I see lots of them locally and many in pics online. I have a '89 F350 dually flatbed 2wd. By next winter I may have traded for a newer one which maybe a 4wd or maybe not (either way it would likely get a plow) but if i still have this one I'll probably put new tires and a couple tons of weight on it and go at it. Keep a set of chains for heavy storms. I think it would do well, and like bolensdriver said, it could probably take a large plow. It's 7.5 or almost 8' wide at the rear tires on mine so you'd need a 9' plow just to cover that. I'm thinking even a set of wings on that it would still do fine, maybe use the 4x4 pickup to open the lot up first then have at it with the dually. It may not stack as well as a 4x4 due to not being able to drive into the pile as far, but it would cover alot of area fast especially in a lighter snow as we typically get.