1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 wd drive plow truck dually

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by packey, Nov 1, 2007.

1. packey

packey Member

has anyone ever used a 1 ton dually for snow plowing. I am having a hard time finding a 4x4 for plowing in my price range and thought if I could not find a truck intime about using my 1 ton crew cab dually. I know I can haul a load with this truck without setting the rear down what my thought was was getting about 3000 pounds of gravle put in the rear and chaining all four of the rear tires. Would this be enough or would I need more weight? The rear end is a dana 80 limited slip. I just can not bear to get rid of this truck you do not see many spotless 85 dodge crewcab duallys. Plus this is my tow vehicle for my lawn business.
  2. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

There are a lot of posts about 2 wheel drive duallys. A crew cab may be a tad long...but if you only go forward and backup that may work, also don't work hills too much, but if you add chains to the back wheels, even the 2 outer wheels, and add lots of ballast who knows.

I know what you mean about 86 Dodge. I have a regular cab 86 dodge dually that we use to haul icemelt and roachip. I'll keep the truck away from hills and it should be fine with 2500 lbs of salt.

Good luck.

3. Nitro1253

Nitro1253 Junior Member
    from NJ

its able to be done just dont forget the weight in the bed, its your key to sucess
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Will work OK on lots, just not the ideal set-up for driveways or small areas
  5. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

If you add chains and then get stuck and spin the chains on a customers driveway thats going to cause some serious damage. I'd look at a lot of weight and either a really good winter tire or studded. Studded will still tear up the driveway but not like chains I'd have to believe.