1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 ways/CB

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ducaticorse, Nov 20, 2013.

1. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

I operate in a densely developed area mainly consisting of 3-5 story buildings. I have an AO of roughly 4 square miles with a total of three trucks and a skid running during an event. I'm looking for radios that have a good chance of communicating in that distance range. Most of the time we will be with in 2.5 SM of each other. Any suggestions?

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

smoke signals? I'm guessing 2 ways would be best if you got the cash

3. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

we use our cells...all Verizon so no costs for calls......when operating I usually plug in a hands free so I can continue to run while talking!

4. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

We use hand held and truck mount two ways year round. We have around 20 radios total. Pm me if you want more info on anything.

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

We use pretty high quality Kenwood UHF mobile and portable radios on a repeater system that runs off two towers that more than adequately covers our service area.

We have used both cells and radios, and find that radio is a much easier, better, and safer communication method. No dialing, looking at smart phone screens while plowing, etc. Also, it puts everyone on the same page. If you have a private conversation to be had with someone, then radio them and tell them to call the office on their phone.

6. KevinClark

KevinClark Senior Member

Exactly how we operate. Kenwood UHF repeater and all. We use two different repeaters depending on the areas were in. Much safer all around. Getting ahold of someone via radio is much faster in an emergency than trying to call.

We also trade with our radio provider so we don't pay for repeaters service ext