1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2-way radio's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brian Young, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was looking for a decent pair of 2-way radios for myself and one for my crew leader. We use hand held cb's for the most part but I wanted a set of radio's that we can just talk on if need be, any recommendation's?

2. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Telus have the 2-way Mike phones, cheapest plan is $40/month. I have the i580, i410 & i530. They work very well over north america.

3. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Can't go wrong with motorola. I have 2 midland Gxt 650 and they have 10 NOAA weather band channels and 24 regular channesl along with 124 sub channels. Ou can change the power level to low, medium, or high. And they're 10 call tones. It also comes with a headset. I would reccomend this radio! Oh it has 18 mile range btw.

4. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

How do handhelds do during storms? Does the snowing, blowing, trees, buildings, etc cause problems?

5. ajslands

Trees and buildings do, that's for sure! Snow, probably a little but not as much as trees.

6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

i've found that the skid and loader operators cant hear them over the engine noises.

7. ajslands

For the op, that dosn't matter.
    I'm surpiresed at that tho, usually it's pretty quiet in those cabs (at least the new ones that I've operated in)

8. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

it might be because theyre the cheap walmart ones.

9. GMCHD plower

GMCHD plower PlowSite.com Addict

Would handheld CB's work better?

10. ajslands

NO they work for like 100' and then they suck, at least mine does (it's like 20 years old though and runs off of like 8 AA batteries)

A string a two cups would work well!

11. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I would agree, I can barley even hear my fixed cb in the skid steer. I am looking for an external speaker for that.....I'm running out of room in there,lol.

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I gess cell phones are out?

13. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

We use Motorola, Kenwood, and ICom 2- way radios for our farm and in our plow trucks. They work great but we have our own licensed channel too. My brother and I can talk in our trucks in the winter at least 25 miles away. Hand helds are much less but there are some good brands of those as well. If you want the best of both worlds, find a channel that works with a repeater that you can rent space from.

14. ajslands

Yes sir! Along with spelling. :eek:

15. keitha

keitha Senior Member

FCC license over more than a couple watts.
    Might be able to rent radios/ tower space from a local radio supplier.
    Radios not a good way to discuss business,everyone w/ a scanner knows your business.
    Now for the right money you can get digital radios and more privacy.
    I agree cell phones.

Keith

16. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

HATE BEING ON MY PHONE while plowing! I tend to hit more ***** when im on my phone.. Cant look over my shoulder well and stuff like that....

Also we (my crew) doesnt all have sprint like i do.
    so that can get pretty pricey
    CB's are a one time fee then i can also listen in on what the other guys are doing. then if i dont approve i can tell them! also it just saves a little time dont have to pick up the phone find their number and call
    just click one button say their name and they respond ASAP

17. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Given that most cell phones have a built in speaker phone (so its just like a CB) why do you hit things ?

ever herd of ear bud? hands free. most phones have speed dial, you only push 1 button to call a stored number.

I bought a pay as you go phone for $19 for my cell phone Co. for $1.00 for the day that I use the phone, I can talk all I want to that phone. never out of range, never a problem from buildings.

18. slc12345

slc12345 Member
    from CT

Look into a repeater network from a radio provider. When Nextel came out everybody dumped the two way radios and now that Nextel isnt all that great they are becoming more popular, you can pick up used motorola truck mount radios for less than $500 and the serivce is very cheap around $7.00 per month per radio and some companies let you shut them off in the summer. We have them installed in all trucks and equipment and have a few portables for subs and a permenant unit in the office and we get around a
    50 mile radius from the tower location and it is great every one can hear and know what is going on.

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My dad first bought truck mounted 2 ways back in 1970, we still have a few of those radio's being used today. We have them in everything we own and they are very handy. The licence fee here is only around $30/year and according to thm ewe only have 3 radio's. Ours are only truck to truck no repeater don't think we could live without them. It's so nice for us to able to talk to the guys or the guys can talk together. We also use them alot on the farm.

20. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why Not Nextels......Everybody has a cell phone...So the switch over is not that costly.They gave me a new Blackberry Free with a 2 year contract.....The company i went to work for SUGGESTED that i get a nextel to make everyones life easyer and i agree....The cost was very little and i needed a new phone anyway.......Just my 3.9 cents...:drinkup: