1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 way radio/ walkie talkie help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Nov 11, 2012.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Guys,
    I'd like some advice on 2 way type radios for my guys to use at a fairly large site where you can't see each other most of the time. Everyone has cell phones but they are a pain to have to look up dial ,answer ect. BTW these are for guys in skids so that makes phones even more of a pain. Maybe something that can have 5 people on them and a decent range...any idea's and do you buy,rent , cost?
  2. M.A.H.

M.A.H. Junior Member

I've used Uniden GMR-1048-2CK and Midland X-TRA both have over a 10 mile range, but after a few were lost and a few broke from dropping them we stopped buying them. Now we use regular CB's mounted in the trucks and equipment. If you go the CB route get ones with side band or stay on an off channel and it'll work great.
  3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

I would suggest FRS radios. Basically they are the walkie talkies used for hunting and stuff. Sporting goods stores sell them fairly cheap now. I have good experiences with Midland rechargeable 30 mile radios. You could probably outfit all 5 guys for around $100.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

I have been thinking the same thing, I Will let you know which ones i buy and how i like them.
  5. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I would suggest getting business use radios, it is very much worth the price difference. I use Motorola XTN radios for my summer business and love them. The UHF ones work best for distance. Check Ebay, there was a guy on there that had a good deal for a set of 6 with a charger.
  6. mtnsnow

mtnsnow Junior Member

I second that eggie329. I use mobile and handheld icom's and love them. Don't know if I would buy through ebay though, most of the radios on there will turn on and everything but they usually have antenna issues and what not.
  7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My work at Stratton Mountain (doing private security) puts us about 3-6 miles apart from eachother and we use Mag One BRP40's.
  8. Holland

Holland Senior Member

Here at work (public transit) we run motorola CDM-750 radios. 60w on low band. Overkill for a parking lot but we can reach clear across the county! Pricey but they have been a very reliable unit for us.
  9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I would look at VHF or uhf mobile radios. Don't know the licensing regs in the States, but once you get a license and a frequency, then go to e-bay, most sellers will program to your frequency, and you have instant communication between all units for a couple of hundred bucks /unit or less

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

VHF what I run have one in each truck and sidewalk crew has a walkie they pack The Walkies are clear talk up to 10 miles with no problems
    In the trucks on high power I can talk 50 miles
  11. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

We used UHF, VHF and GMRS. We finally switched to Sprint/Nextel push to talk. Best thing ever. Nation Wide Coverage.
  12. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

motorola used to make a frs with fm radio i have them in all skids and loaders they are plugger into headphones the operator wears. they can listen to the radio and it automatically cuts out when someone is on the radio so they can hear. awesome system safe and effecient. haven't made them in years i think i bought every overstock and used 1 in the country. wish work tunes would come back with this.
  13. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Good thread, I don't know what all the acronyms stand for, but we use cheap-o Midland hunting hand-held, seems ok. I would like to upgrade to bigger hand-held units for the trucks
  14. lawnsrusinc.

lawnsrusinc. Senior Member

We are looking at units since summer but have not made the jump. We run 14 trucks and loaders so a dedicated channel old be needed I have a personal FCC lisc. But not for the biz? And push to talk Nextel isn't work for us on all ends calls or 2way I am also all ears minus FRS. We don't work in a 1 mile radius.
  15. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

How do these work in and around buildings? This complex has probably 20 different buildings made of different materials (if that matters). I have found I can rent them for 99.00 per month..so about 500 per month for the guys, just haven't decided yet
  16. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

If you guys are looking to get business radios that require license good luck it can take up to 2 months, the FCC is backed up due to the new narrow band B.S. I have had nextel, sprint 2 way, cb, frs/gmrs, vhf business, and uhf business and in the end I had the best luck with the vhf business band. Still have the vhf and frs/gmrs. I loved nextel but things have really changed, the sprint 2way only worked 50% of the time and then verizon is supposed to be way better.......... Ha! Can you hear me now!!!! LOL!
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  17. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

They gone up little but still easy way talk a long ways
  18. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

I vote for cb radio... if you get a good radio( good power) and a good tall antenna you will beable to get some decent range out of it. I have also played around with marine radios( boat radios) they go alot farther but are illegal as **** to operate off the water. at least here they are. Check all local laws about radio usage before you do something.
  19. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

Is it flat elevation wise where you are? Those distances are tremendous! I get maybe half those ranges with our HT's and mobile units, but our elevation changes quite a bit around here.
  20. CTerrySGD

CTerrySGD Member

I would not get a VHF Marine radio for this kind of work. Definitely a reason for the FCC to come knocking on your door.

If you can see each other in the same area, I would get a MURS radio which is for business use on VHF but is limited to 2 watts. You do not need any license for the 5 MURS frequencies on VHF but cannot use a detachable antenna or over 2 watts. Anything more than a mile and you'll start having issues.

Good luck! PM me if you'd like some more options.