1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 unimount issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by SnowMatt13, Jan 4, 2011.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a bad ram, of course the dealer didn't have the rod so I had to buy the whole thing.
    So I replaced it and figured I'd do a flush and change again.
    Emptied the other ram and re-installed them on the plow, filled up with fluid and ran it through its cycles.

When I went to check the fluid, none came out of the level port. So I topped it off.
    Plow only went up 2/3 the way and stopped. Ran the rest of the cycles fine.
    Went to open fill port and oil shot all over under pressure. So I figured there was more air.
    Went through the fill/check motions a few more times and the same thing keeps happening. If I remove the screw on the check/level port before the fill, it pulls in air and the fluid drops. So it seems to me that there is a ton of air still in it.
    How can I get it out.
    Should I start over and leave the 2 rams collapsed and fill them by using the functions?
    I think that this issue has some thign to do with the lift because before the ram and flush everything worked flawless.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you fill it up the first, you should of turn the plow manually to push the air out of each cylinder buy turning the plow to the left wait 60sec, then to the right wait 60sec, the straighten the plow out making sure the lift cylinder is all the way down before and after you get the air out of the rams. Then check the fluid level..

3. SnowMatt13

Will it turn manually without power to the cartridges?

4. twinman326

Maintenance
    oc2.jpg

oc1.jpg

Use a 2x4 underneath the blade will help you swing the blade manually. Then when you swing the blade using the joy stick, then lift the blade using the joy stick, then remove the 2x4..

oc2.jpg

oc1.jpg

5. SnowMatt13

Followed steps 1-11 to the letter.
    I think I am going to start over from square one.

6. twinman326

when you move the plow manually do it slow. I did it slow twice each way.never had a problem..Just make sure you pressure lines are tight..

7. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

it is very important to fill the system after a flush with new fluid and have the lift cylinder all the way down. before you do anything, angle the blade FIRST. do not try to lift first or it will cavitate and blow fluid all over when you remove the plug.

simple mistake to make.

8. SnowMatt13

Exactaly right, no lead.
    I finally discovered that.
    I also let the air pressure out through the check port rather than the fill.
    A few cycles and everything was fine.

Also figured I check my pump pressure too while I was at it and it was a bit low so I adjusted that.

And on a side note, in my first post I mentioned the blade only going up about 3/4 of the way and stopping. When it did this, I was able to hit the up button on my handheld again and it raised fully. After running the trouble shooting table, I had a different controller at work and plugged that in and it raised the plow fully.
    So....I do have a controller that is going bad too......

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

now that the air is out and it is full try the old control for awhile and see if it is better. they don't usually slowly go bad. just stop working from my experience.

10. SnowMatt13

Tried for 10-15 mins last night. Got bored, went home.
    We'll see the next time I hook it up.