1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2" trigger question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kolkie05, Dec 17, 2009.

1. kolkie05

kolkie05 Senior Member
    from Chicago

Most of my accounts are sitting at a 2" trigger with plow and salt. How do you guy's handle a situation like last week in the midwest when we have ice under a snow that is less than your trigger?

Do you contact your accounts to see if they want it cleaned and salted or do you just go?
  2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Contract states that salt is up to my discretion, customer trusts that I know what's best...plowing is two inch trigger or they can call if they want a small storm cleared
  3. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

Thats exactly how we operate for 2" trigger accounts.
  4. Dondo

Dondo Senior Member

I leave it up to the customers and call. I would rather not have to go out for the storm than have some customers start to think I am ripping them off. I have found that 9 time out of 10 the customer says to come over for at least the salting.

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

My solution is simple. If there's a 2 inch snowfall I plow...period. Doesn't matter if it turned to rain or not and compressed that 2" down to less....if the storm dumps 2" or more I plow.

A situation like yours is a little sketchy...ice is not plowable and the inch on top isn't either...so I'm guessing you don't plow unless called.
  6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I would have just contacted each customer and asked. I find that they usually say yes, or do what you think is needed.
  7. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

When an event occurs that's even close to the trigger I am driving around checking accounts anyway, so I take a measurement on a lot of sites and document that so there is no confusion.
  8. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

I just plow the drive ways if it's like 1+ inch snow, dont want it to become ice up makes hard to clean up.
  9. highlander316

highlander316 Senior Member

i guess it depends on your area. Here, we do what it takes to get it clean, plow, salt, or both. Too much liability (especially on the commercial contracts) to let anything go. Also it's weather dependent. Last week, we had roughly 2-3" inches of snow then sleet by 3am. Then at 4am it POURED. All lots and priority sidewalks were cleared. We let the houses and cemeteries go, since by the afternoon the rain (which ended around noon) was gonna have everything melted and gone.
  10. wmik55

wmik55 Junior Member

have one customer , multi-site with 2" trigger. they will call or i will call for service. the other 2" triggers all have salt at my discretion. although we don't start plowing until 2" they realize some service will be necessary when snow is done. all of our 2" triggers just want to make sure that we're not plowing twice for 2"