1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 ton engine hoist question

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by elite1msmith, Dec 16, 2009.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i just bought a 2 ton cherry picker, engine hoist. well wouldnt you know it , while lifting up a plow, the guy helping me let it downa little too fast and the blade touched the side of the cylinder (the hoist) . it knocked off some type of service plug. Im not sure if thats just a cap, if its vented, or close up

It leaked fluid out, so now i need to A. fill it up, and B plug the whole.

for some reason i tryied to pumped it up all the way and added fluid as needed to get it to its fully extended position, then i had some high temp silicon, to plug the hole...well when we lowered it a few days later the fluid just shoot thru the silicon, so i either had too much , or it needs to be vented? not really sure

any help or ideas? the service plug is located about 1/2 way up the cylinder

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

put oil in when ram is fulled down or you overfill it

3. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok thanks, i had a feelig i did something like that wrong.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the hole is a breather hole

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

so just to clearify, I should drop the cylinder to the ground, fill it up to the hole, then create sometype of breather...possibly foam breather at an auto parts store?

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

fill it up to the top of the fill plug....you will never get it to fill to the breather

7. elite1msmith

from chicago

im a little confused by this comment?

ok, lower the cylinder (retacted all the way) then where the plug is, or use to be , fill it with fluid to the top of that hole. then do i cap it off, or does it need some type of vent to allow air to move in and out to take its place while raising?