1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2" to 6" on its way and no work!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jeffl, Dec 4, 2002.

1. jeffl

jeffl Junior Member

We are suppose to get between 2-6" tonight into tomorrow and I have 2 residential driveways. Does anyone have any suggestions. Should I drive around with a big sticker on my head that say HIRE ME!
    This is really bumming me out. This is the first year I decided to go on my own and it seems to be a flop. Oh well, any suggestions, I am all ears.
    Live in Atco, (Camden County) NJ.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

It's a little late for advertising, but at the very least, have your phone number done up in vinyl on your truck. This way people who see you on the street working or otherwise can get in contact with you.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

best bet is to drive around while people are shoveling and see if you can drum up some work. make a note of who takes longest to be plowed/shoveled, and send them a flyer for next time. what were you doing back in august-september? thats when you should be heavy on your snow advertising. i advertise year round for all my services.

4. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

also you still have today to find work. better hit the bricks!

5. lsylvain

lsylvain Junior Member

we got snow coming today 2" - 10" the weather service says. My problem is I don't have any equipment. I have people calling me about plowing, but can't do it. I'm supossed to meet a guy today about a used plow.

6. LI landscaping

LI landscaping Junior Member
    from NY

Contact other local landscapers to see if they need help. I get phone calls for plowing all season long so start advertising. Placing adds in the local service directory of your local paper always works well. Good Luck and be safe

7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Reminds me of when I started plowing - just two years ago this month. I had one account all winter that was a real PITA. Last year got a few more. This year I've got some real good ones, let some go from last year, never looked back for the one from the first year. This is a very rural area. Don't get discouraged. Might be different for you if you're in an urban area, but I found that driving around was a total waste of time. I agree with advertising on your truck, local shopper etc.

8. tecton

tecton Junior Member
    from WV

drive around after it snows and help out people
    post your number and whatnot at local stores

and honestly...look into tv commercials. Dont get scared...you would be suprised how dirt cheap it is to get 4 commercials a day, everyday for 2 weeks....dirt cheap, im talking mabye 100$. Have someone you know make the commercial for you thou...cause the cable company will mess it up.

9. elitelandscape

elitelandscape Member

I think you should find an area where there are alot of older people or business people. I started plowing two years ago as well and alot of people wait till the last minute to find some one to plow. If you have no luck just go around and find driveways that haven't been plowed yet or cleared. I only had 3 places when i started 2 years ago and now i have $150,000 worth of contracts in a very small city not bad for a 22 year old. It's all about word of mouth it will make ya or break ya.
    Hope ya have good luck worse comes to worse call other contracting companies and be a sub atleast that way your working.

Cheers

10. ScottyB.

ScottyB. Member

Look for new homes!!
    I've found that through all the pains of building a new home people always forget how they will maintain it when it's done. 2" of snow coming is a reality check that it's time to get back to normal life. Besides, some people who have just spent $100-$200K on a house don't have spare change to buy a snow blower.
    I'm just starting out so I don't want many accounts, but I think I could get more using this method.
    ScottyB.

To the guy with no equipment...What were you thinking??? Where are you located. Maybe I or someone here could carry your accounts for a few weeks until your set up.

11. NPC2002

NPC2002 Junior Member

I use to just drive around and see people struggling to clear there drivway with a shovel expecially with a heavy snowfall. You will be surprised when they see you and flag you down or just ask them if they need help. Give them a honest price and when you are done give them your name and number or even have them sign a contract or a hand shake for the rest of the season. Then you are in and word of mouth spreads quikley.

Pennies from Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO PACKERS

12. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

My son hands out my fliers when he trick-or-treats. We also do hand outs once in a while. Driving around usually gets you a few jobs. Good luck!

13. what a great idea!!!!!

14. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I was going to post this as a thread but my idea for a new flier will include this picture with the question asking, " Which truck do you want in your driveway when it snows?"

amb & f150 1.jpg

15. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Poor kid.... Child labor laws.... Let me guess you dont pay him right!!!

Just kidding... great Idea!:drinkup:

16. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

My son always wants to help me with the plowing. He has a battery operated Jeep and asked me if I could get him a plow for it. He even has 3 Matchbox plow trucks lined up on his dresser! I guess his first car might be a Ford pick-up with a plow on it!

anthony.jpg

17. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

Hey Mike, you asked which truck we would want in our driveways when it snows...

I look at it this way... If the big boxy one with all the real purdy lights is pulling into your driveway during a snow storm... it better be behind the smaller truck with the blade on it or it aint gonna make it in most of our driveways !!!

But I know what you mean... why risk the ambulance coming for a visit you may not live to regret!

18. When I started I ran an add in the local newspaper in the "situations wanted" section. I got a good start that way. Not all permanent work (some was) but I did get a few temporary jobs for people who's equipment broke down and needed help.

19. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Hey Jeff when I asked the EMTs if they minded for me to snap the photo the driver asked why. I told him. His partner started belly laughing! On a serious note, do you think it would be too offensive to make up that flier?

20. jeffl

jeffl Junior Member

Feeling Better!

Just today I got 3 new resedentials and 2 commercial accounts. I am feeling alot better about it now.
    I really appreciate everyones input.
    Thanks a million.
    Jeff