1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 tickets while plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by natureboy, Jan 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

Went out plowing last night. An officer (who must have been bored) was pulling over all plow trucks coming by. I got a ticket for not having my front plate visible over the plow, and another for not having a light shining on the rear plate. Total =$220 Cdn. I tried explaining the plow is only on while plowing so it would be ridiculous to mount the plate on the plow itself, and that the rear plate is mounted in the proper bracket on the salter, right beside the truck's tailight which lights it up just fine. Obviously a waste of breath. Any suggestions or input? I can mount a light on the rear plate but what about the front? Attaching to the trucks grill still wont do it.
  2. Rappa

Rappa Member

No advice man that just sucks...
  3. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

That is about stupid... Could you mount the plate under one of the plow lights? Or do your lights come off with the plow?
  4. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

Some cops are crazy. Try calling the department, ask about the grand-am and the corvette which no person puts front plates on.

A week ago I got warned by a sheriff for having a yellow rotator on the top of the back-rack.(not running) He said that I was not allowed to have it. I replied what about tow trucks, construction equipment. He said that they could have it but not me. I said what about sbc of comcast, they are just a private company, as am I. Still he said I could not have it, it is a $75.00 fine in his book. He said I could cover it. I then double checked that it was ok for construction equipment to have it. I said I do landscape construction, so it must be ok.

He said well this is your warning, and got back in his car in a hurry, possibly knowing that I was going to make a foul of him.
  5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

poor cop, his coffee and donut were getting cold. that is just stupidiy to get a ticket for having a flashing light. i thaught you had to have one while plowing. and getting a ticket for having your plates not visible, does he want you to get small wipers to keep them clean with minny spot lights to aluminate them. i would fight the ticket. luckily here in michigan you only have to have a plate on the back.
  6. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

It is strang because others are cool and know you are doing your job.

I have flipped on my strobes and pulled a u turn a highway with a cop in the other lane, he didn't do any thing.

I know a guy that is a cop, last year he pulled a plow truck over for a DWI. -2 twelve packs in back But he was nice enought to let them call a body to finish plowing before he arrested him.
  7. accipiter12

accipiter12 Senior Member

That's really rediculous. Either cop was an ass or it was a fresh cop who was trying to "over due" his duty. Elite1's situation was ******** too. Would have made more sence to warn you about NOT having it on versus having it on your truck. Some cops suck. Don't worry though, I won't be one of those dump ones. :bluebounc

8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

Fight those tickets. Thats a bunch of bull. I would call the cheif of police and complain and make the loudest stink possible. They should through those out. :realmad:
  9. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Maybe the local donut shop was out of his favorite donut and he was p----- off so he took it out on the plow guys.:D I'd definately fight that one! Are we supposed to take the front plate off every time it snows and put it in our windsheild?:rolleyes:
  10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Fight the tickets, most likely the judge we look at them and throw it out.The one for the front plate is just insane obviously it will be blocked with the plow on.He was probably a new cop trying to hard.
  11. rainair

rainair Senior Member

org equipt

A plow is not org equip. therefore it is mounted as special equip. look at your local govt trucks, some must have tags [depends on the state]. just like a rear bumper it is not put on by the factory therefore it is not required by law. A deputy in Clark Co. Ohio 1 time tried to site me for not having a rear bumper, I told him go ahead site me so you can make a fool of yourself to the Sheriff, cause that is just where I would have taken it... needless to say the pen went back in his pocket...lol... as far as the lights, as long as your NOT running them on the street, he has no stand. it won't hold in court. some states require a permit for lights and some require lights. in Ohio, according to the ORC. an emergency veh. is "A tow,highway const, utility [as in power or phone] snow plow, ect... then there is the public safety veh. as A- ems/fire,or law enforcement.... then there is the all time.. the USPS veh. and this one I like to ask people in the USA as far as a 4 way stop in any state! if a fire truck, ems and the sheriff and granny is at an intersection, and the other veh is a postal veh. who has the right a way ? .... the postal veh. US code "At all times you shall Yield the right a way to any and all postal veh."
  12. Filer

Filer Member
    from Canada

I have a brother that live's in Mississauga and he got a ******** ticket one time and the best advice he got was.

If you can afford the time off work, go to court & FIGHT IT. As the cops in Toronto have to go to court on their days off to prove your guilt & on minor offence's the cop doen't bother to go to court on his day off so they throw it out of court.

I hope you fight it natureboy & win.

13. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Re: org equipt

Rainair has it right on the money except for one thing... Politely talk to the cop. Do not be a smart a$$. Yea, he let you go this time but now you are on his radar. He will look for you all the time now and wait for you to screw up.

14. SnAscksdck99

SnAscksdck99 Junior Member

in CT you need your front plate to be seen at all times.some just put them on the dash board
  15. rainair

rainair Senior Member

the mind is more powerful the the pen

to beat all the Deputy was a fellow firefighter too... and a friend... he just thought he could get one over on me haha...:nono:

he's the same cop that would sit in front of the fire station and use the radar, had 2 books of tickets and that was his personal quota not the sheriffs...
  16. paponte

paponte Senior Member

I would take pictures and fight that ticket. That is stupid. It is quite clear he had nothing better to do. :angry:
  17. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

what a jack a$$ fight it and next time tell him youll take him to court
  18. natureboy

natureboy Junior Member

By unanimous decision, I'm going to court!!!!! I'm going to wire up a small light for the rear plate and I'll take a couple pics. The front plate is a hopeless situation. On the dash wouldnt be visible (very flat dash on 03 Ram), and I got a western ultra mount, so lights come off with plow.
  19. SWH Enterprises

SWH Enterprises Junior Member

:dizzy: Sounds very, very much like the bored a** cops here in the Town of Fishkill Nature Boy!!!
  20. SWH Enterprises

SWH Enterprises Junior Member

:dizzy: Sounds very, very much like the bored a** cops here in the Town of Fishkill Nature Boy!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.