1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 stage vs. single stage for SLUSH?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by luap, Oct 23, 2003.

1. luap

luap Junior Member

I live 30 mile south of Boston and we tend to get a lot of wet snow. Does anyone know which type of snow thrower handles slush better, single or two stage? I've spoken to a bunch of people and some say that a 5hp two stage can handle slush well and others have told me that you need a 10 hp thrower to handle slush (nothing gets stuck in chute). On the other hand, I've also been told that a 3.5 hp single stage Toro handles slush better than any of the two stage models. I'm really looking for a thrower that will get the job done ASAP without having a need to stop and clean out the chute .

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I have a 13hp 2 stage snowblowerand it still plugs up when you try clear slush.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

The newer two stage Toro's have an impeller bypass that returns excess snow form the impeller to the auger,and is supposed to prevent overloading the impeller and clogging the chute.I haven't tried one yet,but maybe it would be a better choice.
  4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Single stage wont work good at all, been there done that go for a two stage its gotta be better
  5. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Spraying PAM or a similar veggie spray on the chute & impellers helps alot towards minimizing clogs, but certainly not foolproof. Key is to not take large bites in slush while monitoring to see if things need a reapplication of the veggie spray.
  6. luap

luap Junior Member

Thanks everyone for your help. Looks like I'm going with an 8 hp 2 stage and a case of Pam.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i have a 8hp 2 stage if its slush it clogs
    i drag out my 2stroke toro never clogs

if the snow gets deep definitly need 2 stage