1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 stage blowers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PowersTree, Dec 2, 2010.

1. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Our task is resi driveways for HIGH end homeowners. No snowplows, unless absolutely needed.

Some a rather large. What do you guys think of the 45" blower on the market now. (Lowes / depot / Sears / cub cadet at the dealers)

I have a 3 man crew with toro 210s. Wondering if I buy a 30" or 45. Will the 45 be to big? I can get the crafstman branded for $1600.
  2. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Note, ill take pictures, the machines are all made by the same company, just branded differently.
  3. Lawn Rover

Lawn Rover Inactive

You ever consider an ATV?
  4. doubleedge

doubleedge Member
    from ND

Do you have a tractor or skid steer that you could attach a snowblower to? A 45" walkbehind snowblower would have trouble with deep snow and would be difficult to maneuver.
  5. just plow it

just plow it Senior Member

My dad has a 36 inch Ariens walk behind blower and it takes two men and a boy to operate it. It's a real pain to steer and turn. If your doing a lot of driveways I would suggest a smaller one or one on a lawn tractor because you would be so tired after one driveway you won't want to do the rest. You get done fast with a big blower but it wares you out fast also.
  6. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Kinda what I was told. My old boss now has a dealership also. Guess ill get a 30" instead. But damn it looked cool. It would be much cooler with a walkbehinds style drive system.

No ATV plows either. Do they make blowers for the ATVs? A tractor with blower was my next thought.

Now, would you spend $400 more to get a cub machine from the dealer, or save that money, buy an extra set of belts, and buy the same machine from Lowes just painted different colors? My old boss offers 25 hour parts depth access.
  7. NicholasMWhite

NicholasMWhite Senior Member

the newer 45 inch blowers (craftsman and cub cadet) have chinese engines on them. That being said, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
  8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

If you get a steel auger, it's going to scratch the driveway and the home owners will be upset. Get synthetic paddles and it'll clean it better.
    Plus the chains from the mower/ tractor tires will scratch the surface

that being said, you can't go wrong with toro!
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  9. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

I've already got the toros. Its the two stage I can't decide on.

I wont be running chains, and the 2 stage blowers of poly sliders, or an option to buy it if you want. Cub has it as a standard, the others don't, but I can just order cub sliders and put em on.

What blower do you recommend if not those one?
  10. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

We also use blowers and stuff for driveways, Ariens makes good blowers. You might consider 3 pt blower on a subcompact tractor, we have a massey 2300 (24hp) and just put a 50 inch snow blower on it, all i can say is WOW
  11. JayD2

JayD2 Senior Member

I just picked up a toro 210R and man, that thing is loud. It sounds like a motor cross bike....Smokes some too, I guess the new ones have to break in a little. My big toro 1028 smokes, but its not broke in yet either, only used it two times about 30min ea.time
  12. flatlander42

flatlander42 Senior Member

I like my walker 36" single stage blower. Has more than enough balls and throws snow like you wouldn't believe. Also a plus....my shoulders don't hurt after a big storm!

13. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Ok so I've been looking around. I think I want to get a large garden tractor / small utility. Looking at blowers in the 40" range.

I'm setting up a large site sidewalk / high end resi driveway crew. I'm thinking a 36 inch blower is my best bet so that it'll fit down most all sidewalks.

I will be buying used, but what garden tractors came with a 3 point hitch. Im thinking a back blade would be nice? And help counter for of the blowers weight.

Leaning towards a Wheel Horse or a Deere. No home depot junk.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  14. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Ok. I feel like a Jack ass now. That Massey looks like a sweet tractor! I just googled it.
  15. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

How much are you willing to spend? Did you look at the Toro 2 stagers? That's what I would buy. The biggest ones. Some guys on here have been posting their small tractors on a thread in the Picture Forum, check those out for sure. Pretty big $$ though.
  16. PowersTree

PowersTree Senior Member

Thats what I need to find. Didn't know they had a picture thread, but then again I'm surfing from my phone.

I ended up buying the Cub 30" model. The dealer came close to Lowes price, so I bought it from the dealer.

Now I want a tractor. Then there wont be a sidewalk job we couldn't handle. 3 point spreader, and spray rig for it.
  17. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

18. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

i use the toro 210 on the custom drive ways with no issues
  19. milkie62

milkie62 Senior Member
    from Troy,NY

I run the big ariens and the 33" cub cadet with easy steer.The big cub is a dream.The 45" is great for the driveways but if you need to do the walks it is too big.Do not hesitate buying the 45" blower,just remember about the walkways.