1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 spreaders needed

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by staley52, Dec 19, 2001.

1. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I am in need of recomendations for 2 speaders
    first I am just starting out on my own away from the company I have a 84 s10 with a 6.5 blade and want to find a 6' slide in sander preferably electric not a hitch mount I need the hitch for the trailer and a slide in has more volume availible
    second I would like to find a small electric spreader to mount on the garden tractor just got a account with alot of long sidewalks. or would you rec a medium towed spreader?

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i think you would be better suited to a tailgate spreader with an s-10 due to weight constraints.....

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Ice o way, smith and downeaster all make six small lightweight models. Smith and Downeaster make electrics. With a little suspension help in the rear the s-10 will handle the weight. My Toyota can take the sander and a yard of mix. I added some springs to it and tried the Timbrens. They work well.

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I have seen one company around here with a couple of S-10's with V-boxes in them (small ones, 1 -1.5 yd boxes at most). They didn't look like they had beefed up the suspension a whole lot, but they were using them. I wouldn't have been comfortable driving those trucks as they were, but they were getting the job done, so it is possible.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

CT18, 1 yard of wet sand =3500 lbs,+ the 500 lb spreader+,+ the plow,I dont think a toyota or S10 has the frame ,tires,or suspension/axles for that kind of weight.Yes it mak do it,but for howl long,and at what cost.I wouldnt ever think if putting a yard of mix in my S10,Id scrap the idea of a v box,and run a tailgate spreader,or get a 3/4 ton minimum truck,and a V-box.

6. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I do not claim to be a pro on S-10's. I have however built many Toyotas for work and Play. The Toyota 4X4 frame is that same frame used in the 1 ton C&C that Uhaul uses. Very strong frame. In other countries these same trucks are used by UN and armies to haul tons of supplies over awful roads.

The rear axle uses the same diameter shafts and bearings that were used in the old Ford 9" which is a very strong axle. The weak links are the springs on a 4x4. They are soft to allow for flex. Also the rear breaks are light.

On work trucks I have replaced the springs with one ton leaves and added air bags. We can run a yard of sand with little sag. I don't full when plowing only when sanding. The truck has held up well and that was with a heavy gas sander. This year I went to a lighter electric v-box and timbrens. I have had it loaded once and still saw little sag.

I am not sure on S-10's however from what I have seen the frames look bigger then the Toyota. Only they are not boxed.

Can a small truck handle it? Yes. The driver still has to be careful just like when driving a fullsize that is often overloaded.

7. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

I want the v spreader for the volume to run a very rich mix of sand, salt, and Ice melt that will be kept as dry as possible my accounts want a minimum of sand used but I need the sand to prevent the mix turning into a big block in the spreader as far as wieght the only time that I will be close to a full load is when going out after ice witch at that time I drop the plow and have no trailer

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I think you should be able to do that. Just go easy

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

My town, and a neighboring town's school district use S-10s with V-boxes and Western plows. Trucks are 84-86 vintage. They have suspension additions, but couldnt tell you what they are. These trucks are used for sidewalks and small parking areas only.