1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Speed Use Question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by bskiball, Dec 26, 2010.

1. bskiball

bskiball Member

Just picked up a 2 speed skidsteer and getting mixed opinions about pushing in high gear. Dealer said don't and I'm not sure why not. Do you guys push snow in high? Anybody hurt there skiddy pushing snow in high?

2. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

We've ran both out track skids in high speed for 2 seasons now. They are dealer serviced every month (during snow season) and they haven't said a word regarding excessive wear or damages. I think the majority of guys around the site that use skids all plow in high gear. The only time I ever take it out of high is when I'm loading/unloading and doing tight work around buildings and cars, the rest of the time it's balls to the walls! payup

3. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

My dealer told me the same thing.... but couldn't tell me why lol I use high while plowing all the time but I do downshift when coming up to the pile, turning around or doing any tight work. Like windrowing, I start in low, shift to high as soon as it gets rolling, Downshift 10 feet or so from the end, turn around drop the blade and shift back to high in about 10 feet. Plowing in low all the time would really kill the productivity of the machine.
    Hope my post made sense lol
    Robert

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Fargo, how many hours are you putting on in a month? lol

5. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

Always plow in two speed- Havent had any serious snow (8"+) though

6. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I almost always use high speed on my A300. Over 2,200 hours now and no problems with the drivetrain.

7. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I plow in Two speed. The only thing I've noticed is I need to change my final drive oil at 250 hours. My CAT dealer said that plowing in 2 speed was not recommended for the following reasons, Lack of turning control and not enough torque. I have pushed some snow about 289 hours last year and 40 so far this year. The most I've pushed with a 8' snow wolfe pusher in 2 speed is 10" of medium density snow 300 yards. The only problem was it was hard to in 2 speed going straight was no problem.

8. fargosnowpro

fargosnowpro Member

I guess I don't really keep track, maybe a 1000 a season or so. I have 76 on this week plus a few more tonight. The monthly service is part of a service contract we have through the dealership.

9. JaimeG

JaimeG Senior Member

Just don't ram into snow piles at full speed and you'll be ok. We specifically looked for 2 speed machines when we purchased ours and that is the only way we'll plow, unless we are doing driveways or other tight areas.

10. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

I even push dirt in 2 speed. Switching down for more torque means I need to stop or I feel a chunk when I switch to one speed which does worry abit. Just like the final drives in the mini-X's when pushing. They had issues in the beginning but mostly went away.

11. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

400 hours on our s185 it is almost always in high, no problems yet. Whats the point of buying a 2 speed if your not going to use it?

12. bskiball

bskiball Member

Thanks for all the thoughts. I will use high as needed and not worry about it. The salesman that I was talking to was trying to sell me a single speed. He was a typical salesman, half the stuff he said was crap. I would trust experiance over a salesman anyday.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You took the words out of my mouth... Why have it if you can't use it. Maybe it is one of those things where the truck dealers sell a truck with a plow prep package on it but inform you that if you put a plow on the truck it will void the warrenty. :mad: