1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 questions .......

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Vaughn Schultz, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

This is a problem, but were working on it;)

I need to get these U Joints off but cant seem to figure out how, any ideas. Sure hope its not some very pricey tool :rolleyes:

2000 F-450 4X4

Thank you

Picture 219.jpg

Picture 220.jpg

Picture 221.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

If it is a Dana 60 the axle will pull right out. My dana 50 had internal clips if i remember right. The new caps should be pressed in with a ball joint tool. There is a plastic or ceramic washer that can be crushed if you use the old hammer and socket trick.

3. Vaughn Schultz

I need to wack out this Ball joint, my buddy mike knocked out the top one by beating the crap out of it with a hammer, but that one one easy to get to. The bottom one is posing some real problems any help ??

U JOINT 1.JPG

U JOINT 2.JPG

U JOINT 3.JPG

4. Brannick's Snow

Brannick's Snow Member
    from ohio

Heat............

5. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

If you have a steady hand, torch it out of there! Thats what I would do. Us farmers are the king of the fire wrench! Best tool on the farm.

6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

^ is on the way...

7. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

heat is your friend.

8. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

you can rent a ball joint press at most of the chain auto part stores. Use this to press it out and back in with a little heat if needed.

9. Vaughn Schultz

Well after all your responses on using heat we would have been a fool not to try it. So i went out a bought some:D To be honest I don't think it did very much:eek: Were you just supposed to poor it all over :confused:

Picture 236.jpg

10. Vaughn Schultz

So we (BNC and I) were a little upset at the resualts of the heat. We really could have saved the $.92payup So with out further delay Bryan got to work, still boggeld about the heat:dizzy: I just decided to throw him a grinder and a hammer and see what he could do:gunsfiring: Mean time i went to dinner :nod:

Picture 240.jpg

11. Vaughn Schultz

Well when I got back from dinner, 23 min later ............

Picture 239.jpg

12. Vaughn Schultz

There was a problem, but BNC fixed it :D

13. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I'm glad to see there is at least a can of Budweiser sitting on the bench while he was grinding! Things go allot better with some of that. lol :drinkup:

14. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The budwiser's used to cool down the worker so he doesn't lose his "temper".