1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by clncut, Aug 16, 2004.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Question 1

If it snows less than your trigger (mine is 2") do you go out and salt only?

Question 2

If an ice storm occurs will you go out and only salt?

If so do you charge a sererate amount for salting only or do you just charge your minimal plow w/ salt charge.

I will be plowing on a per inch basis so the minimal charge for me would be the 1-4 inch price.

Thanks in advance
  2. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

all depends on contract/arrangments you have made with client as to weather or not you are salting. salting is a seperate charge to plowing.
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If your trigger is 2", then you won't be plowing 1".

#1 For me, No. But you would go by your contract or what the customer wants. This should be discussed at the time you meet to arrange plowing services. Most of my customers are accustomed to driving on snow. Most will simply drive on 3" or less and not even think about it. It only really bothers them when it's above the bumper of the car.

#2. If the customer wants or it is in the contract that way. If I sand (salt) only, then I have a rate for that - a minimum charge up to a set amount of product spread and per yard if more than the preset minimum is spread. I would only charge for plowing if snowfall amount hits the trigger. I have had occasion where I plowed less than the trigger to spread sand on the ice underneath. I did not charge for plowing in that case. I figured it was as much for my convenience as the customer's.
  4. Tony Bonventre

Tony Bonventre Sponsor

Answer to question Number 2

You can only charge for what you actually do. You cant charge for plowing if it is an Ice storm. You should however apply salt especially if it is your contract it could still be your liability.