1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 questions, fan clutch and manuel 4x4 endgment

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by the new boss 92, Sep 2, 2011.

1. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

my fan clutch is locked upon my new truck. 89 k2500 5.7 auto. im wondering if i could replace the factory one with a nice after market unit to kick the fan on a little earlier so that when im plowing it doesnt get warm. if not i can just get a cooler thermostate.

now i need a 4x4 acturator. i was looking on sumit and found this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/POS-600/?rtype=10 how many of you guys actually used it and how well does it work? the 2 wheel low is the best part, seeing im always pulling people out and im always on dry pavement and there is no need for 4x4.

let me know some information on the above just doing a little reserch right now.
  2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

My dad has a 90 2500 and we have never had any cooling issue. The truck is pretty much never serviced and we only fix major issues. It has been a great plow truck. Try cleaning out your radiator maybe.
  3. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

if your clutch fan is locked (engaged all the time), then a fan clutch will allow it to slip - not engage sooner ....

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You will absolutely love the Posi-Lok. You can leave it engaged when plowing or driving on snowy roads. Then when you pull the transfer case lever you will have instant four wheel drive.

The 2Lo is nice also, just be real easy with the right foot.
  5. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

posi lock = good kit.

thay make hd towing/plowing clutch fan units to replace std cooling fan clutch units. also do you still have a shroud ? that helps and how many blades on the fan. ?

and computer controled tbi injection = same tstat as factory temp equiped or problems as if its to cold it will think the motor is not up to temp and run like the choke is on dumping fuel and wasting gas.
  6. the new boss 92

Nope the fan clutch is locked up, needs to be replaced. I was just wondering if there is a good alternative one that will be good for a decent amount of towing and plowing so ibdont have to worry about over heating issues. My theroy is if its broke upgrade it for the couple extra bucks and forget about it.

The posi lock seems to be the way to go seeing that the electric ones always fail. Had 2 go out in the last truck in 3 years cause I'm always engageing it and disengaging it in the winter
  7. pooleo8

pooleo8 Senior Member

if its locked, whats the big deal? its like having a fixed fan. Will lessen your chances of an overheat, vs it not tightening up and not cooling enough.
  8. the new boss 92

im not trying to be a smart ass in any way shape or form here, but the last one i seen that was locked up went through the radiator at 2500 rpm. mines already vibrating so it needs to get replaced so i can avoid it coming apart, hence why i was asking if there was a good replacement to take care of the problem and would work better for that im using the truck for you get were om going here now?
  9. mossman381

Stock replacement should be fine. You could upgrade it to electric fans.
  10. the new boss 92

thanks moss, when did you get the nice looking dully?
  11. mossman381

I have had it for a week and a half. I was going to wait to start a thread about it until I get some things done, but I might get some more pics and start it today. So far I LOVE it.