1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Questions About A Boss V Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DozerMan, Jan 22, 2005.

1. DozerMan

DozerMan Junior Member

Hey fellas, I have a Boss 8'2" Poly V and I have a couple of questions.

1. Has anyone had problems breaking cutting edges? I had a straight blade for 7 years and never had any problems, but I've already broke a four or five inch piece off three times in two years (It breaks at the end in the middle). The first time I think I hit some uneven concrete pretty hard when I had it in the scoop position, so I get that. But since then I've been more careful. My blade doesn't trip very easily, and I don't know if my springs might be too tight, or what. I love the plow, I just can't figure out why I'm breaking the cutting edges.

2. This could be part of my problem, but for anyone who runs Boss V's, do you use the shoes? I never did on my staight blade, and I have plowed with and whithout on the Boss. I don't know if this could be why the cutting edges are breaking.

Any suggestions are very appreciated!
  2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

We have owned a Boss 9.2 since 1999. Same problems you have had. Numerous broken cutting edges. Always at the V area. I agree that the V plows dont trip very well. We always run shoes on our plows, it helps the cutting edges last longer and if you set the edge so its about .25 to .5 inch off the pavement it helps keep the blade from snagging those manhole covers , etc. We put a urethane cutting edge on ours this year, and it has eliminated those problems. On our other plows that have straight blades ( Boss, Blizzard, Meyer) we have put bends in the cutting edges, but have never broken any.
  3. Farmer J

Farmer J Junior Member
    from Ontario

The guys I plow for have been running boss V's for at least 7 years, never broke a cutting edge and never run shoes. We always run with as little pressure on the springs as we can. As long as the blade isn't tripping on you when you're plowing normaly then the springs are good.
  4. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I have an 8'2" Boss poly V, on my third season with it and I have never broken an edge with it. I allways run shoes on it and I have the trip springs set pretty loose.