1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 Q's

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by albhb3, Dec 20, 2007.

1. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Looking to the future ie: next year what is the best box spreader on the market, sort of confusing since there is such a veriety of opinions on this site. Also for doing commercial work do you need a front end loader for large parking lots such as walmart, target, and let say home depot. Thanks for the help!
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I can't help on the spreader. One the commercial sites, my advice is to wait until you actually check out the cost of insurance and have contracts with the stores/malls you mention. At 18 (or even 19) with minimal experience, it's not likely you're going to get either. Yes, you will likely need front end loaders along with tri-axle dumps to handle those sites.
  3. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

The need for a front loader is determined by site conditions. How much snow you get on average storm. Where snow needs to be piled. Lot size. There are many variables to that question.
  4. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Hi there,

I am new to plowing this year but Toronto has been hit big time so far and we have learned quite a lot in a very short period of time :) We have several commercial properties none as big as Walmart or Home Depot but I have definetly learned that Bob Cats or similar are a huge advantage even on smaller commercial lots. There are only so many places snow plows can get into. And ... after a number of snow falls you start to run out of places to PUSH the snow unless you have ways of piling it. As for spreaders, I just bought a twin electric motor Air Flow spreader and I absolutely love it. It works bulk salt perfectly even through freezing rain. No problems jamming or siezing. And my 8 foot spreader holds 3 metric tons of salt which is pretty good for a box spreader.

Like I said, new to the business but hope I helped.tymusic