1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 problems (electrical)? w/1996 chevy diesel

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Sealer People, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

HI guys,
    since I put the plow on, and started working the truck this year ( first year for the truck to plow & salt ) Ive noticed that the light indicating that Im in drive was flickering & now doesnt go on at all. It goes on in reverse but not drive but it does when i put in 3, 2 & 1 gear. I figured it wasnt a big deal.

This morning it was minus 16 degrees ( canadian ) dont know what that is in Fer. but it was very cold,,,,, anyways I go to turn the key & the glow pulg clickering noise that always comes on,,, doesnt. The glow plugs were just replaced 5 months ago. The " wait to start light " came on but no clicking ,, as is normally does. It still started, it was plugged in all night, but even when its plugged in I still always hear some clicking from the glow plugs.

Could these 2 problems be connected ?????
    I'd love to hear some opinions before I take it in to the mechanic shop today.

Thanks guys !!:help:

2. mjd

mjd Junior Member
    from indiana

glow plug controler,you can fix that easy enough yourself

3. Sealer People

Sealer People Senior Member

do you mean " the glow plug relay "

4. I can't offer you much help as I'm no mechanic. However, if you need service done at a very good price here is a number for a guy named Pete from PTM Mechanical. 416-458-6501

His shop is in Scarborough and his labour rates are really low. His work is impeccable with many years experience with diesel trucks. And an added kicker he is a Chevy man...

Hope this helps. Tell him I sent you. Name and company in my signature.

5. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

The gear indicator light is probably just a bulb. I would say with 100% surety that the two are not connected. The bulb number should be a #74. You'll have to pull the cluster out to replace it . Should be pretty simple.

As for the glow plug problem, I wish I could help. I don't have much experience with diesels.

6. mjd

mjd Junior Member
    from indiana

yes the relay,dont know why i put controler