1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2-plug Relay to 3-plug Isolation Module

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by MarkEagleUSA, Jul 23, 2012.

1. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

I have an older 2-plug relay setup on my 97 Chevy UltraMount. I've been thinking about upgrading to an isolation module setup. So far I have determined that I need a 27070-1 module and a 29051 truck-side harness (I have the single sealed beam headlamps).

What I can't figure out is what p/n's I need for the plow-side and whether or not I need anything else truck-side. I'm guessing I can keep my current battery harness but need new control and light harnesses on the plow.

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

actually the battery cable that plugs in is different on the truck side.

I'll assume this is a straight plow. the part number you would need for the rest of the wiring for the truck is a 28055 (consists of the 26345 main harness and 63411 battery cable, and is cheaper than buying them separate). then, along with the numbers you already found, that would just leave the solenoid and the little 20" battery cable, which would be the same as what you already have.

then to convert the plow you would need a 26359 harness to go to the coils on the power unit (again, if it's a straight blade). and then to convert the lights you have a few options. Since you have an ultramount plow you could get the new Night Hawk lights (28800-1). You might have to drill the hole for the second mounting post on each light. Or if you didn't want to spend the money to do that you could rewire your original lights with a part number 26377 harness.

3. MarkEagleUSA

Thanks!

I'm probably not going to put Nighthawks on this plow but want the enhanced harness in case I ever upgrade to a newer plow. Is that possible?

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, you could use the stuff I listed for the truck side, and go with the 26377 to rewire your plow lights, and the 26359 harness for the power unit, to convert the plow. this would save $175 or so, but will be more work.
    and yes, then your truck would be set up for 3 plug isolation module wiring, and work with most straight plows around CURRENTLY with the Night Hawk lights. HOWEVER, the straight plows are now being changed to the fleet flex wiring (like the mvp+, wide-out, and HTS already used). This is multiplex wiring, with only two plugs again, and the solenoid is out on the power unit instead of under the hood, etc. So, if you buy a new plow in a couple of years you will have to change some of the wiring again on the truck again.

5. MarkEagleUSA

Thanks again. After looking up some prices I've decided not to pursue this for now. It would be 300-400 dollars that I don't really need to spend. It's an 8 yr old plow on a 15 yr old truck and everything currently works fine.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yep. I know what ya mean.

7. MarkEagleUSA

To be honest, I didn't realize I needed more than the 29051 truck-side harness. I thought the module and that harness plus the plow-side would be it. It starts to add up quickly.

If it ain't broke, why fix it?