1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 plug plow side to 3 plug truck side harness???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by TurboSam, Jan 5, 2012.

1. TurboSam

TurboSam Junior Member

2 plug plow side to 3 plug truck side adapter harness ???

has anyone built a "plug and play" harness to run a 2 plug plow on a 3 plug setup? I have a I/M Ultramount on my personal truck that I had planned to have as a backup, but I don't want to have to dedicate a plow to only fit my truck. We have 7 trucks with plows and I'd like to be able to just use whichever plow isn't needed etc. I tried searching, but all I came up with were post about switching permanently to a 3 plug. I have the parts to do that, but wanted another route.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It can be done as long as the two plug plows are not the newer multiplex systems. Need the plow side single plug and the two truck side plugs, get your diagrams out, and tie them together in between.

3. TurboSam

TurboSam Junior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by multiplex system. Are you just referring to the the isolation module?

4. TurboSam

TurboSam Junior Member

also, any ideas which pigtails or harnesses I would need to build one. I've been thru the parts posters and can't figure out which repairs ends I need.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If your truck side is 3 plug then it's a non-multiplex Iso system, but for the plow side there's more than one 2 plug system. There's the old 2 plug relays systems, and the 2 plug multiplex system used on MVP+ Wideout and current straight blades that use multiplex technology to operate the plow by way of only four control wires and a plow side module to interpret the signals. So you have to know what you have on the plow side before it's possible to know if an adapter harness to combine them is feasible for your situation. If they're older and not a Wideout or MVP+ then likley they're the old 2 plug relay system and therefore an adapter harness can be made to marry them to your 3 plug Iso truck side system.

6. TurboSam

TurboSam Junior Member

oh yeah, it's going on a regular relay plow. we only have one of those POS MVP plows.

any clues on which parts from western I need? I know what I need, but not sure what part numbers or actual descriptions I need. I need a "truck side" relay system plug and the "plow side" I/M plugs.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I'm assuming your plows are all 9-pin so...

To get the 11-pin plow side plug you must purchase the entire 28213K harness as there's no repair plugs for the 11 pin harness's. And be prepared for sticker shock until you source all these as DD's wiring isn't cheap so expect to spend over $200 for just these three components to make your plows interchangeable.

26359- plow side 3 pin harness
    28213K- plow side 11-pin harness
    49308- 9-pin truck side repair plug

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have only one two plug plow wouldn't it be easier to just convert it to three plugs so you can run it on any three plug truck? You asked about multiplex.... just so you know... the multiplex is the new two plug system. One plug is the standard nighhawk headlights while the other is a combination power plug and two way communication system. It's kinda like radio control. All the control functions go from the controller to the plow on a single wire. The functions are encoded at the controller and decoded at the plow. The second wire is for the plow to talk back to the controller for error messages etc. The older two plug system was different, it was still using a single wire for every function but it combined the headlights / signals & park light plug with the control wires. The three plug system has one plug for lights, one for controls and then the third for switched power to the motor. Note that the multiplex (Wide-out, MVP+ and the new straight blades like the HTS) power cable is hot all the time and goes to a relay located on the plow so that wire will ark if it touches metal on your bumper.

9. snowbuster1

snowbuster1 Member

I have a two plug setup. The one plug is the two pole power and the other is a 12 pin. What would I need to do to switch it to a three plug system

10. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Assuming that your two plug plow is a straight blade you would need only two cables, the control cable that goes to the valve coils and then a headlamp cable. PN 26377 and 26359 There may be a conversion kit but I am not sure where to look for the part number. By the way the power cables are the same on the two and three plug so you don't need those.

11. TurboSam

TurboSam Junior Member

of our 9 total trucks, only 2 have a 3 plug system. One is a 3500HD with a 9' Pro Plus, and my Tundra, and there's no way my tundra can handle a 9' Pro Plus. We have several older 7'6" Unimount system though. My truck is meant merely as a backup, so we don't really want to dedicate a specific plow to it. We kind of have a unique situation when it comes to snow in the NC mountains, we don't get enough of it to justify buying an extra plow for just in case, but it's nice to have a spare truck to use since there are so many *cough*yankees that live here now that they expect everything to be cleared in a day, so being down a truck isn't an option. Plows can be repaired a lot easier than trucks, so we don't have any extra plows, just lots of parts.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012