1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 plows one truck can it be done?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by cj7plowing, Mar 28, 2013.

1. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I have all standard western straight blades in my fleet and don't want to change that. I want to get an new MVP flared sides next season and keep my controls and plugs for the straight blade.

I don't care if I have another controller in the truck, I figure the battery plug would be the same.
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Just have to wire it with both plow modules. A lot of guys do it .
  3. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

It depends what year your old plows are. The new one would be a fleet flex set up, this is the design of the fleet flex, to make it easy to switch plows and trucks. If your older plows are not fleet flex it may take a little bit. Or you may have two complete sets of wiring on your truck. Also if you run differnt heights of trucks the plow would be configured for the wrong height. I am sure it would be fine to get you through a storm but for long term use it is best to have it at the right height.
  4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I have my F550 setup to run three different kinds of Westerns. Multiplex two plug, straight blade three plug and to the old MVP three plug. I use one isolation module and three controllers. I only plug one controller in at a time. You would leave your old wiring in and add the multiplex wiring, that is the power / communication cable and the control cable. You would either need to splice one plug (two into one) or switch this plug under the hood each time you change plows. But it certainly can be done. The issue of configuration is a mute point in my opinion because you configure the plow to fit the truck. If both plows are configured for the same truck there is no problem. The trouble comes when you want to run one plow on two different trucks.
    My truck is not setup to actually use all these different plows. I run my own Wide Out but I do repairs for other people. I just need to be able to hook up, move and test all the other plows. But if I did own every model of ultra-mount ever made all I would need to do is configure them all for the height of my front end and would be good to go.
  5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Yes my truck has 3 plug wiring for Fisher straight blade as well as Fleet Flex/Multiplex wiring.
  6. cjwoz

cjwoz Senior Member
    from CHICAGO

I have two wiring Harnesses in my truck. One for my wideout and another for my unimount. I didn't do the install I had john's garage in Glenview Illinois do it.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you are getting a new fleet flex system why not convert your old plow to fleet flex then you only need one harness on your truck.
  8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Converting to fleet flex is not so easy. The new plows have the shrowd to protect the added multiplex electronics. It would certainly be possible but I would expect it to cost upwards of $1000 just for the parts! The original plow works just fine, why mess with it and put out extra money? Two more cables out the grill are not a big deal.