1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

2 or 3 wire? need some help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by lowazztruck, Jan 11, 2010.

1. lowazztruck

lowazztruck Junior Member

why are some plows 2 wire and some 3. whats the difference can someone school me on this thanks

2. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

The two wire system uses relays- A three wire uses the isolation module.

The two wire system-Both the lights and control functions are in the same plug.

The three wire system-There is a separate harness for each. Lights,controls, and power

They are easily converted.

3. dealswithidiots

dealswithidiots Junior Member

except on the new MVP+, WideOut, and HTS snow plows these use a multiplex system which is Isolation Module but still only a 2 plug system one for the lights and one for power/control signals

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't foregt there's also a two plug multiplex Iso system such as used on the MVP Plus and Wideout and are not the same as the old two plug relay systems.

And it's not always cheap or even possible to swap. Just depends on which side you're swapping, what vehicle you're working with and what system you're starting with.

5. lowazztruck

lowazztruck Junior Member

im looking at a ultramount foot pro what do u think it is 2 or 3

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Most are three plug but the early ones were two plug back when the relay systems were current. Just have to look on the plow.

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

My Bad- I Forgot about those ones. I actually have one of each.- I Miss the days of unimount where you could just plug and play.

Now theres ultra mount and you could have one of three different wiring set ups.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And this is one of the major downfalls to DD's products. Little interchangeability with overpriced overcomplicated electrical systems. They really need to get their act together and standardize them all. Of course that in itself would create yet another wiring system and a thousand more part numbers. :rolleyes: